Are Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of protons, neutrons, and electrons being sources of energy and how they can be released through particle collisions. It also mentions the standard model and different ideas about the composition of fundamental particles. The speakers also briefly discuss their interest in the anime/manga One Piece and the possibility of further discussing science topics.
Gravilocity
Ok I am kinda happy becuase this is my first Post on this website. I love physics. I am wondering if we as humans have established the knowledge of what exactly Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons are. Down to their core, could they be energy? By energy I mean a source of power small or big. I Really could use some info on this.
I will be checking this website often most likely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Due to einstien's equation E=mc2 (mass and energy are equivilant), yes they are energy. This can all be released by colliding the particle with it's antiparticle. This can be seen in PET scans, where positrons (anti- electrons) are produced, which annialate with electrons to make radiation energy which is picked up by the scanner.

BTW, if you want to know what Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons are, protons and neutrons are each made up of 3 particles called quarks. Protons are made of 2 up quarks and a down quark, neurons 2 downs and an up. Down and up quarks, along neutrinos and electrons, are fundamental particles and make up the standard model. There are many ideas of what fundamental particles are made up of, however, such as "point" particles or 2- dimensional elastic band- like things.

Dude Thank you so much. by the way: are you into One Piece? I see that your name is Jetwaterluffy. If you are that cool. I don't read the manga, I only wait for the animation, so i try not to find out what has happened in the manga yet. More to the point though: I was wondering if we could talk about this subject of science more. Maybe we could talk on facebook or yahoo messenger; some sort of chat program. I do want to elaborate on my question. I'll be waiting for your response.

Gravilocity said:
Dude Thank you so much. by the way: are you into One Piece? I see that your name is Jetwaterluffy. If you are that cool. I don't read the manga, I only wait for the animation, so i try not to find out what has happened in the manga yet. More to the point though: I was wondering if we could talk about this subject of science more. Maybe we could talk on facebook or yahoo messenger; some sort of chat program. I do want to elaborate on my question. I'll be waiting for your response.
I don't want to talk on facebook or yahoo messenger (because of privacy issues, you could be a terrorist for all I know), but I'll happily talk to you in in VMs or PMs. Yes I do like one piece, although I am more of a manga person myself.

I can confirm that protons, neutrons, and electrons are not considered energy in the traditional sense. They are subatomic particles that make up atoms, which are the building blocks of matter. However, they do possess energy in the form of mass. This is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light.

Protons, neutrons, and electrons have different masses and therefore have different amounts of energy. However, this energy is not a source of power, as it is inherent to the particles themselves and cannot be harnessed or used in the same way as other forms of energy, such as electricity or heat.

In terms of our understanding of these particles, scientists have made significant progress in unraveling their fundamental properties and behaviors. However, there is still much to learn and discover in the field of particle physics.

I hope this information helps to clarify your question. Keep exploring and learning about the fascinating world of physics!

1. What is the relationship between protons, neutrons, and electrons and energy?

The three subatomic particles, protons, neutrons, and electrons, make up the structure of an atom. These particles have a specific mass and charge, which ultimately determine the energy of an atom.

2. Can protons, neutrons, and electrons be converted into energy?

According to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², matter and energy are interchangeable. This means that in certain nuclear reactions, protons, neutrons, and electrons can be converted into energy.

3. How do protons, neutrons, and electrons contribute to the energy of an atom?

Protons and neutrons are located in the nucleus of an atom and contribute to its mass. Electrons, on the other hand, are located in energy levels surrounding the nucleus and contribute to the atom's overall energy.

4. Is the energy of an atom solely determined by its subatomic particles?

No, the energy of an atom is also influenced by other factors such as its temperature, pressure, and external forces. These external factors can affect the movement and arrangement of the subatomic particles, thus altering the energy of the atom.

5. How does the energy of an atom affect its properties and behavior?

The energy of an atom is directly linked to its properties and behavior. For example, atoms with higher energy levels tend to be more reactive and can form chemical bonds with other atoms easily. Additionally, the energy of an atom can determine its state (solid, liquid, gas) and physical properties such as melting and boiling points.