What does it take to work at ITER?

by Fusiontron
Tags: iter, work
Fusiontron
Dec21-11, 08:38 AM
P: 69
I've seen their job listings website. But really what are the intangibles that would help someone work at this magnificant place?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
epenguin
Dec21-11, 01:58 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,932
Develop and maintain excellent and ongoing relations and if possible ongoing collaborations back home and outside interests for a path back when the project stalls/has crises/funding runs out/political disagreement/promotion blocked/your post has to be given to another nationality and even, it is within the bounds of possibility, the project succeeds on which case it will be closed. Aim for your experience there to be in technology of science with applications that are in demand widely, not limited to that project. Read up the story of JET and start thinking about your retirement or recycling.
navynuclear
Dec23-11, 11:06 AM
P: 10
Will ITER even work?

Drakkith
Dec28-11, 03:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,042

What does it take to work at ITER?

Quote Quote by navynuclear View Post
Will ITER even work?
How could we possibly know that yet?
leprechaun0
Jan13-12, 07:47 AM
P: 12
Quote Quote by Fusiontron View Post
I've seen their job listings website. But really what are the intangibles that would help someone work at this magnificant place?
My answer.. Get a Ph.D in High Energy Physics, do post doc research lecture some snot nosed kids, get published in some fancy physics journal, then maybe if the janitor suddenly drops dead. You can work at ITER.

To translate my answer, if you don't want to be the research lead then I don't see what any person with expertise and experience in a relevant field couldn't find a place there. Assuming the you are a citizen of a country that contributes to the project. French and Swiss nationals may be more employable.
Fusiontron
Jan14-12, 08:34 PM
P: 69
Sounds reasonable. I know a couple guys who do indirect consulting work for ITER. As in, a couple really streched connections. Do you feel someone with expertise in MHD Theory would be a good fit? That seems to be the direction I'm going for when I apply for grad school.
Astronuc
Jan14-12, 09:57 PM
Admin
P: 21,634
One does not need a degree in high energy physics, because fusion takes place at relatively low energies (keV) range. The fusion reaction does produced particles with kinetic energies in the MeV range.

Plasma physics (including MHD) is one area of the technology. So are condensed matter physics, E&M, power conversion & electronics, computer science, . . . .
leprechaun0
Jan16-12, 12:13 AM
P: 12
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
One does not need a degree in high energy physics, because fusion takes place at relatively low energies (keV) range. The fusion reaction does produced particles with kinetic energies in the MeV range.

Plasma physics (including MHD) is one area of the technology. So are condensed matter physics, E&M, power conversion & electronics, computer science, . . . .
I'm a dummy, I was thinking CERN not ITER. My foot tastes great.

Register to reply