Register to reply

(another)interesting number theory problem

by Mathguy15
Tags: anotherinteresting, number, theory
Share this thread:
Mathguy15
Jan15-12, 04:26 PM
P: 63
a and b are real numbers such that the sequence{c}n=1--->{infinity} defined by c_n=a^n-b^n contains only integers. Prove that a and b are integers.

Sincerely,
Mathguy
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
checkitagain
Jan16-12, 04:04 AM
P: 99
Quote Quote by Mathguy15 View Post
a and b are real numbers such that the sequence{c}n=1--->{infinity}
defined by c_n=a^n-b^n contains only integers. Prove that a and b are integers.

Sincerely,
Mathguy
[itex]c_n \ = \ a^n - b^n[/itex]

What about any real numbers a and b, such that a = b, so that [itex]c_n = 0 ?[/itex]
Here, and b don't have to be integers.

Do I have your problem understood, and/or

are there more restrictions on a and b?
Norwegian
Jan18-12, 01:45 AM
P: 144
I assume you mean a≠b.

Since a-b and a2-b2=(a-b)(a+b) are both integers, a+b is rational, and we get a and b are rational.

We can write b=m/t and a=(m+kt)/t with (m,t)=1. Assume t≠1, then there is an integer s such that k is divisible by ts but not by ts+1.

Let p be a prime larger than t and 2s+2.

cp=ap-bp=(pktmp-1+k2t2(...))/tp

Both the second term and the denominator are divisible by t2s+2, while the first term is not, so the fraction is not an integer. It follows that t=1 and we are done.

dodo
Jan18-12, 06:43 AM
P: 688
(another)interesting number theory problem

Quote Quote by Norwegian View Post
a+b is rational, and we get a and b are rational.
Sorry, Norwegian, but why? For example, sqrt(2) and 3-sqrt(2) are both irrational, and they add up to 3.
micromass
Jan18-12, 07:32 AM
Mentor
P: 18,086
Quote Quote by Dodo View Post
Sorry, Norwegian, but why? For example, sqrt(2) and 3-sqrt(2) are both irrational, and they add up to 3.
Both a+b and a-b are rational. So (a+b)+(a-b)=2a is rational.
dodo
Jan18-12, 11:18 AM
Ahhh, thanks, Micromass.
dodo
Jan19-12, 03:48 AM
By the way, this is a beautiful proof, and I'm still trying to figure out how did you come to it, Norwegian.

I presume you started from both ends. At the finishing end, you needed a^n-b^n to be a rational but not an integer. At the starting end, the way you expressed a=b+k suggests the use of the binomial theorem to evaluate powers of b+k (or powers of the numerator of it). If a and b are rational, then a^n and b^n (with a=b+k) were going to end up having a common denominator, so you concentrated in making the numerator of a^n-b^n a non-integer. Then divisibility / factorization issues enter; though I still don't see in which order did (1) finding the largest power of t dividing k, (2) coprimality conditions, and (3) finding a prime p that does not divide most of the things around, in which order these three came to be, and what suggested them.

I always find instructive to see the genesis of proofs; it adds to the inventory of ways of constructing new ones.
Mathguy15
Jan23-12, 04:56 PM
Quote Quote by checkitagain View Post
[itex]c_n \ = \ a^n - b^n[/itex]

What about any real numbers a and b, such that a = b, so that [itex]c_n = 0 ?[/itex]
Here, and b don't have to be integers.

Do I have your problem understood, and/or

are there more restrictions on a and b?
Oh sorry! Yes, a and b had to be distinct.
Mathguy15
Jan23-12, 04:58 PM
Quote Quote by Norwegian View Post
I assume you mean a≠b.

Since a-b and a2-b2=(a-b)(a+b) are both integers, a+b is rational, and we get a and b are rational.

We can write b=m/t and a=(m+kt)/t with (m,t)=1. Assume t≠1, then there is an integer s such that k is divisible by ts but not by ts+1.

Let p be a prime larger than t and 2s+2.

cp=ap-bp=(pktmp-1+k2t2(...))/tp

Both the second term and the denominator are divisible by t2s+2, while the first term is not, so the fraction is not an integer. It follows that t=1 and we are done.
That is an interesting proof, and I will take the time to digest it later! Thanks

Register to reply