Register to reply

Equilibrium of three suspended blocks

Share this thread:
Phys121VIU
Jan20-12, 12:23 PM
P: 17
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/45009287.png/

The problem(s) are shown in the link, but I'm having trouble getting them started.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For 3-12:

I think what I need to do is find the tension force in the ropes leading from each block to point A. Then with those forces I find the Sum of the forces in X and Y

From there i think i know what to do, its just that i dont know how to find the force in each rope!

My attempt:

For block B, the force in the the rope to point A is sin∅/200lb. For block C, the force in the rope to point a is sin(30)/100 =50lb .

Is this correct so far?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Doc Al
Jan20-12, 12:35 PM
Mentor
P: 41,321
Quote Quote by Phys121VIU View Post
For block B, the force in the the rope to point A is sin∅/200lb. For block C, the force in the rope to point a is sin(30)/100 =50lb .

Is this correct so far?
No. First things first. What's the tension in the rope connecting to B and the rope connecting to C? Hint: No calculation is required. (Consider the forces on B and C.) Then you can worry about the force components acting on point A.

Careful how you write things: don't confuse sin(30)/100 with 100*sin(30).
Phys121VIU
Jan20-12, 04:02 PM
P: 17
Quote Quote by Doc Al View Post
What's the tension in the rope connecting to B and the rope connecting to C?
I got it figured out, I was definately over thinking it.

The tension in the ropes are equal to the weight of the blocks, so rope AB is 200lb and AC is 100lb.

Then I find the Sum of forces for X and Y and solve for the unknowns!

Thanks!

Register to reply