Register to reply

Chemistry Question Solution Stochiometry And Determining The Concentration?

Share this thread:
justinh8
Jan21-12, 08:17 PM
P: 44
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the concentration of all ions after 600.0mL of 2.00 mol/L Barium nitrate is added to 100.0 mL of 2.50 mol/L sodium phosphate.

3. The attempt at a solution
I first wrote down the equation : 3Ba(No3)2 + 2Na3PO4 = Ba3(PO4)2 (solid) + 6NaNO3
I then found the moles using n = c x v.
moles of Ba(No3)2 n = 2 x 0.6L = 1.2 mols
moles of Na3PO4 n = 2.5 x 0.1 = 0.25 mols.

I than found the LR: 0.25 mols Na3PO4 x 3 mols Ba(NO3)2/2Na3PO4 = 0.375 mols Ba(NO3)2

So I have more than i need for barium nitrate so my limiting reagent is sodium phosphate.

Now what i am having trouble with is, is that should i find the excess reagent by doing 1.2 - 0.375 = 0.825 or do i have to find the mols of the solid barium phosphate and then find the limiting reagent using that.. Please help, thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
justinh8
Jan21-12, 11:03 PM
P: 44
anyone care to help??
Pranav-Arora
Jan22-12, 02:16 AM
P: 3,805
You are provided with the concentrations and volumes of the reactants. Find out the moles of reactants and the final moles of all the ions as the question says. Then divide the moles by the total volume i.e. 0.7 litres.

Register to reply