Register to reply

Having 3 Ws on a college transcript but good GPA. Chances on grad school?

by selig5560
Tags: chances, college, grad, school, transcript
Share this thread:
selig5560
Jan24-12, 03:56 PM
P: 38
Hi,

I am wondering if 3 Ws on a transcript would impact my changes of getting into grad school. THe classes I withdrew from did not apply to my major. On College Confidential I was reading that any Ws increase the difficulty of getting into grad school. On another site I read that if it does not apply to your major they won't be too harsh on you. Two of the classes were useless, i.e. did not apply to my major or even gen. eds. The other (3rd) I dropped because I admit I did not like.

- Selig
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Choppy
Jan24-12, 05:51 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,676
They're unlikely to have a drastic effect on graduate school admissions decisions, although some committee members may wonder why you withdrew from so many courses.

If you really want to know how this is viewed, rather than asking random people on the internet, just email a couple of the schools you're interested in applying to for graduate studies. They'll be able to give you a more definitive answer.
Mad_Miller20
Jan25-12, 01:45 PM
P: 5
Hi Selig.
I don't think it will be a deciding factor in whether you will be admitted to graduate school or not. I agree with Choppy - try emailing some of the schools or asking other grad students. It also depends on what kind of graduate program you are trying to get into. If it is a prestigious, competitive program, it make more of a difference than it would otherwise. However, I don't think it will be a big deal. You obviously had a reason for withdrawing, and if it was to save your GPA, I don't think it was a bad decision. Good luck!

Register to reply