Nullspaces of a Matrix

by Big-oh
Tags: matrix, nullspaces
Share this thread:
Big-oh
Feb11-12, 05:50 PM
P: 5
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given an mxn matrix M, prove that Null((M^T)(M)) = Null(M)

Where M^T is the transpose of the matrix M.

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to get the first part (Null(M) is a subset of Null((M^T)(M))), but I'm just having trouble proving the other way around. I pick any vector in Null((M^T)(M)), but unsure of what to do after that.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
HallsofIvy
Feb12-12, 12:57 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,353
The standard way to prove that to sets, A and B, say, are equal is to prove A is a subset of B then prove that B is a subset of A. And you prove A is a subset of B by starting "if x is in A" and then use the properties of A and B to conclude "x is in B".

Here, the two sets are Null(M) and Null(M^T(M)). If x is in Null(M) then M(x)= 0. It then follows immediately that M^T(Mx)= M^T(0)= 0. That's the easy way. If x is in Null(M^T(M)) then M^T(M(x))= 0. Obviously, if M(x)= 0 we are done. What can you say about non-zero x such that M^t(x)= 0?

Register to reply