Fundamental engineering Exam for Electrical Engineers

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential benefits of passing the F.E. exam for an electrical engineering senior. It is mentioned that having a PE license can be advantageous in the job market and can potentially lead to fewer exams in the future. It is also noted that a PE license may be required for certain positions and consulting work.
asdfmosin
Hello;
I'm a electrical engineering senior and was wondering if passing the F.E. exam would help in the job market. Since I know it is usually catered toward Mechanical engineering and is requirement for Civil engineers, I'm not sure if it would actually state anything for an emerging Electrical engineer.
Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
It certainly couldn't hurt. Plus, if you ever decide to go on and get your PE its one less exam you have to take.

I plan on taking my FE exam in the fall, however I'm a PhD student. I really wish I would have taken it shortly after getting my BS like most engineers do.

I'm an electrical engineer with a PE license. If you’re considering it, I would definitely recommend taking the FE exam. Your professional engineering license will stay on your resume for your entire career.

A professional engineering license is needed for some electrical controls engineering positions or if you plan on doing any engineering consulting work directly for the public.

1. What is the purpose of the Fundamental Engineering Exam for Electrical Engineers?

The purpose of the Fundamental Engineering Exam (FE Exam) for Electrical Engineers is to test the knowledge and understanding of fundamental engineering principles and concepts in the field of electrical engineering. It serves as a prerequisite for obtaining a professional engineering license.

2. What topics are covered in the FE Exam for Electrical Engineers?

The FE Exam covers a wide range of topics including mathematics, circuit analysis, electronics, electromagnetics, power systems, control systems, and digital systems. It also includes questions on ethics, communication, and professional practice.

3. How long is the FE Exam for Electrical Engineers?

The FE Exam for Electrical Engineers is an 8-hour computer-based exam with 110 multiple-choice questions. It is divided into a morning session (4 hours, 55 questions) and an afternoon session (4 hours, 55 questions).

4. Can I use a calculator during the FE Exam for Electrical Engineers?

Yes, you are allowed to use an approved calculator during the FE Exam for Electrical Engineers. However, the calculator must meet specific requirements outlined by the exam board.

5. What is the passing score for the FE Exam for Electrical Engineers?

The passing score for the FE Exam for Electrical Engineers varies by state and is determined by the exam board. Generally, it ranges from 60-70% correct answers. However, the score is not based solely on the number of correct answers, but also takes into account the difficulty of the questions.