Pincushion distortion from spherical detectors

In summary, pincushion distortion from spherical detectors refers to a type of image distortion caused by the curvature of the detector, resulting in a stretched appearance towards the edges. It is a common issue, especially with wide-angle lenses, but can be corrected through various methods such as using lens correction software or specialized lenses. In scientific research, this distortion can affect the accuracy of data and may require additional correction methods for reliable results.
senan
I'm wondering how the use of spherical shaped detectors causes pincushion distortion. I can understand the shape of the detector affecting the final image but I thought the lines would bend out as when a hemisphere is laid out flat, a point appearing near the center from the front on angle would appear further away when the detector is flat. However every image of pincushion distortion has the lines bending in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide some context? I'm more familiar with field curvature in this regard.

1. What is pincushion distortion from spherical detectors?

Pincushion distortion from spherical detectors refers to a type of image distortion that occurs when using spherical detectors to capture images. It causes the image to appear stretched towards the edges, giving it a pincushion-like shape.

2. What causes pincushion distortion from spherical detectors?

This type of distortion is caused by the curvature of the spherical detector, which causes the light rays to bend as they pass through the lens. This results in a distorted image, with the edges appearing more stretched than the center.

3. Is pincushion distortion from spherical detectors common?

Pincushion distortion from spherical detectors is a common issue, especially with wide-angle lenses. It is more noticeable in images with straight lines or geometric shapes, but can be corrected through various lens correction techniques.

4. Can pincushion distortion from spherical detectors be fixed?

Yes, pincushion distortion from spherical detectors can be corrected through various methods such as using lens correction software, adjusting the focal length, or using specialized lenses with correction elements built-in.

5. How can pincushion distortion from spherical detectors affect scientific research?

In scientific research, accurate and undistorted images are crucial for making precise measurements and observations. Pincushion distortion from spherical detectors can affect the accuracy of data and may require additional correction methods to ensure the reliability of research findings.