Register to reply

Math, engineering, or premed?

by happyguy
Tags: choice, engineering, math, premed
Share this thread:
happyguy
Feb20-12, 04:44 PM
P: 2
hey guys, so march 1st is coming up and i still haven't applied to university. I can't seem to decide what I want to study.

I'm doing cal II right now, and math has always been a passion and interest for me. However, I find the classes usually boring (I get good marks though >95% for math). Stuff like math competitions and proofs are what interests me. I'm thinking of applied math mostly since that will give me (I think) a broad range of opportunities. Ideally, I'd like to do at least a masters if I choose math. Also If i choose math should I do a double degree, like with comp. sci or physics or something?

I really liked physics when I first did it in high school but after coming to college ("CEGEP" - Quebec system) and doing Mechanics & waves I seem to be almost on the verge of disliking it. Chem never interested me so that's out of the picture.

Now if I choose to do on more year of CEGEP I can apply to premed (1 year) and then go in to med school. The problem is that the last time I did Bio was in Grade 9 and it was really basic stuff like the different systems. Although I normally hate memorizing I remember liking bio a lot. Why med? That's what I'm trying to figure out too :). It pays well, probably better than the other paths I listed, and lots of openings here in Quebec.

The only other choice I can think of is engineering (don't know which one - maybe ee?) since the way I see it, it's a combination of physics & math and I can probably make more money with a bachelors in engineering than in math (if i never end up doing graduate studies for some unforeseen reason).

I know I listed money as a reason once or twice and many people will disagree but I believe that personally, making a decent amount of money is an important factor. Also note that I have the marks to get in any of the listed choices (not trying to show off) Any suggestions or opinion? All feedback will be appreciated. Thanks a lot. :)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Pilot sites in energy from coffee waste show good results
Startups offer banking for smartphone users
Factor in naked mole rat's cells enhances protein integrity
jedishrfu
Feb20-12, 05:02 PM
P: 2,997
your description reminded me of the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. Perhaps if you list all the pros and cons of each choice the answer might become clear.

When my brother was on the verge of going to college he didn't know what he wanted either so we discussed his interests from math to model planes to computeres to whole bunch of other stuff. I suggested Physics and he scoffed saying why because you majored in it and I said no because it was the one umbrella that covered all of your interests.

Wrt to CompSci, its always good to have a secondary major because in the real world you may have to apply your compsci knowledge to some physical problem. There's a lot of computational fields now such as comp physics, comp biology... take your pick.

Also in the first year of college its not uncommon for many people to change their majors as learn what it means to follow a given major all the way. You might like math until you hit topology and then realize that mathematical proof for math's sake is not for you but if you persevere you will see whole vistas open to you.
happyguy
Feb20-12, 07:50 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by jedishrfu View Post
your description reminded me of the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. Perhaps if you list all the pros and cons of each choice the answer might become clear.

When my brother was on the verge of going to college he didn't know what he wanted either so we discussed his interests from math to model planes to computeres to whole bunch of other stuff. I suggested Physics and he scoffed saying why because you majored in it and I said no because it was the one umbrella that covered all of your interests.

Wrt to CompSci, its always good to have a secondary major because in the real world you may have to apply your compsci knowledge to some physical problem. There's a lot of computational fields now such as comp physics, comp biology... take your pick.

Also in the first year of college its not uncommon for many people to change their majors as learn what it means to follow a given major all the way. You might like math until you hit topology and then realize that mathematical proof for math's sake is not for you but if you persevere you will see whole vistas open to you.
did your brother end up going in to physics & if so, does he enjoy it? Does anyone else also have any suggestions?

jedishrfu
Feb21-12, 02:30 AM
P: 2,997
Math, engineering, or premed?

Yes he did and he got phd in applied physics and is now working in industry as a programmer. As he's still working in the same field for many years I'd say he's enjoying it.

Register to reply