Register to reply

Can light be filtered using red fabric?

by oem7110
Tags: fabric, filtered, light
Share this thread:
oem7110
Feb21-12, 09:50 AM
P: 151
If I put a red fabric under the Sun, what can this fabric be filtered in term of light frequency spectrum?
Thanks in advance of any suggestions
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
Drakkith
Feb21-12, 07:17 PM
Mentor
P: 11,503
Are you asking the spectrum of light that passes through the cloth, reflects off of it, or what?
oem7110
Feb21-12, 08:09 PM
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Are you asking the spectrum of light that passes through the cloth, reflects off of it, or what?
I would like to know the spectrum of light passing through the cloth,
since the Sunlight pass through the red cloth, will the red color of light or infrared be greater increase within the spectrum?
Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

Vanadium 50
Feb21-12, 08:25 PM
Mentor
P: 16,119
Can light be filtered using red fabric?

No, a filter can only remove light, never increase it.
johnbbahm
Feb22-12, 04:00 PM
P: 141
The way I understand your question, The amount of red in the sunlight would be reduced
by passing through a red cloth. A portion of the red spectrum would be reflected, and therefore not transmitted. In Practice, cloth would make a poor filter, as it has all sorts of
irregular surfaces. A true red filter would reflect most of the red leaving the remaining spectrum.
davenn
Feb22-12, 05:22 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,468
Quote Quote by johnbbahm View Post
............A true red filter would reflect most of the red leaving the remaining spectrum.
huh ??
you better reread optics 101 ;)

all my optical filters of various colours that I use in photography PASS the colour of the filter and STOP other colours

Another example... why do you think they use RED filters in front of IR receiver sensors ?
...so that the red end of the spectrum is passed and the rest of the spectrum is filtered out
thereby avoiding false triggering and reduced sensitivity of the IR sensor

Dave
oem7110
Feb22-12, 05:30 PM
Quote Quote by davenn View Post
Another example... why do you think they use RED filters in front of IR receiver sensors ?
...so that the red end of the spectrum is passed and the rest of the spectrum is filtered out
Dave
I would like to know the reason why IR receiver use IR within spectrum instead of other spectrum, does it have any specific property for IR?
davenn
Feb22-12, 05:43 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
sorry I dont really understand your question
care to rephrase ?

Dave
Chronos
Feb22-12, 05:52 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,360
If you look through a red filter, everything looks red. Like Dave said, the filter color is the light frequency that is unblocked.
oem7110
Feb22-12, 06:27 PM
sorry I dont really understand your question
care to rephrase ?

Dave
I am interested and would like to know more about why use RED filters in front of IR receiver sensors, and the reason to select IR instead of other spectrum on this receiver sensors device.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
davenn
Feb22-12, 06:29 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by oem7110 View Post
I am interested and would like to know more about why use RED filters in front of IR receiver sensors.

I gave the answer in post #6

Dave
oem7110
Feb22-12, 06:34 PM
I gave the answer in post #6

Dave
... and the reason to select IR instead of other spectrum on this receiver sensors device.

davenn
Feb22-12, 06:40 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
... and the reason to select IR instead of other spectrum on this receiver sensors device.

1) cuz its invisible to the naked eye so you dont see the remote control transmitters flashing light all the time.
2) Lighting up an area at nite time for camera survlence (sp?) doesnt flood the area with unwanted light
3) IR is so much easier to filter than light within the visible spectrum

Dave
Drakkith
Feb22-12, 06:46 PM
Mentor

Infrared light is used for various purposes, including remote controls, night vision, and to observe different things in space that are either blocked in the visible range or don't emit in the visible range. Do you know what the EM spectrum is?
oem7110
Feb22-12, 07:07 PM

Dave
If I apply a red filter, are Infrared, Microwave and Radio passed? and are Gramma ray, X-ray, Ultraviolet, Visible filtered out?

davenn
Feb22-12, 10:27 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
If I apply a red filter, are Infrared, Microwave and Radio passed? and are Gramma ray, X-ray, Ultraviolet, Visible filtered out?
I have already clarified visible light is filtered out other than the red end of the spectrum.
Radio wavelengths ... microwave or otherwise and not filtered nor are Xrays or gamma rays
Radio wavelengths ... microwave or otherwise you need a metallic screen --- basically a Faraday shield
You can filter radio/microwave frequencies using a metallic screen where the holes in the screen are
considerably less than a 1/4 wavelength in diameter...... look at the screen on the front of your microwave
oven... the holes are large enough that we can see what's cooking but the 2.4 GHz radio energy cannot pass

the RED filter of the topic IS AN OPTICAL FILTER !!

Dave
Drakkith
Feb22-12, 10:48 PM
Mentor

This isn't easy to answer, it totally depends on the material. And is your signature set to ask for suggestions every post? It really doesn't make any sense.
johnbbahm
Feb23-12, 03:06 PM
P: 141
huh ??
you better reread optics 101 ;)

all my optical filters of various colours that I use in photography PASS the colour of the filter and STOP other colours

Dave
I understand Dave, I was thinking of type of red filter used in say HeNe laser safety glasses.
They actually filter out the red light. It's been many years, but i recall they had a green tint to them. :)

Register to reply