Law of Total Probability/Bayes' Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses two theorems related to conditional probabilities and total probability. The first theorem states that for a set of mutually exclusive events, the probability of an event E is equal to the sum of the conditional probabilities of E given each individual event in the set. The second theorem, known as Bayes' theorem, connects two conditional probabilities with a formula. The conversation also touches on the concept of breaking down probability problems into mutually exclusive cases.
XodoX
Can somebody explain to me, using an example, what those 2 theorems actually are? Like, when I see a problem, how do I know what I'm going to use?

I know Total Probability is "unconditional Probability", but I don't really get that.

Supose that F1, F2...Fn are events such that Fi[itex]\bigcap[/itex]Fj=∅ whenever i≠j and F1[itex]\bigcup[/itex]...[itex]\bigcup[/itex]Fn=S. Then for any event E,

P(E)= P(E I F1) P(F1)+...+P(E I Fn) P(Fn).
Bayes' is for conditional probabilities, but apparently you calculate those conditional probabilities differently...

For any events E and F, the conditional probabilities P( E I F) and P(F I E) are connected by the following formula:

P(E I F)=P(F I E) P(E)/P(F)

The other definition of conditional probability was P(E I F)= P(E[itex]\bigcap[/itex]F)/P(F). Can't figure out what the difference is, when I use which one..etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Supose that F1, F2...Fn are events such that Fi⋂Fj=∅ whenever i≠j and F1⋃...⋃Fn=S. Then for any event E,

P(E)= P(E I F1) P(F1)+...+P(E I Fn) P(Fn).

A lot of the time in probability problems it's easiest to break down the problem into mutually exclusive cases and deal with them separately. Like what's the probability that the sum of two dice is less than 6?

P(X1 + X2 ≤ 6) = P(X2≤5)P(X1=1) + P(X2≤4)P(X1=2) + P(X2≤3)P(X1=4) +P(X2≤2)P(X1=4) +P(X2≤1)P(X1=5)

So above in the sum you break down the cases based on the result of the first die.

What is the Law of Total Probability?

The Law of Total Probability, also known as the Law of Total Probability, states that the probability of an event, A, occurring can be calculated by considering the probabilities of all possible outcomes that could lead to event A.

What is Bayes' Theorem?

Bayes' Theorem is a mathematical formula that describes the probability of an event, based on prior knowledge of conditions that might be related to the event. It is used to update the probability of a hypothesis as new evidence becomes available.

What is the difference between Law of Total Probability and Bayes' Theorem?

The Law of Total Probability is a general rule that describes the relationship between the probability of an event and the probabilities of all its possible outcomes. Bayes' Theorem is a specific application of this rule that takes into account new evidence to update the probability of an event.

How is Bayes' Theorem used in real life?

Bayes' Theorem has many applications in fields like statistics, machine learning, and finance. It is used to make predictions based on historical data and to update those predictions as new data becomes available. It is also used in medical diagnosis, spam filtering, and risk assessment.

What are the limitations of Bayes' Theorem?

Bayes' Theorem relies on accurate and unbiased prior knowledge and assumes that all relevant information is available. It also assumes that the events being studied are independent of each other. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not always hold true, leading to incorrect predictions or probabilities.