Is Midnight Considered PM, AM, or Neither?

• Thread starter Gamish
  • Start date
In summary, at midnight, it is neither before midday nor after midday, and the proper terms for the two 12 o'clock hours are midnight and noon.
Gamish
Is midnight PM or AM? Does midnight end the previous day, or begin the next day? I have read that midnight is PM or AM, I have read that midnight is neither PM nor AM, it is a moment of no time. I have read that computers calculate midnight as 12:00 AM, and noon as 12:00 PM. I am very confused. The reason why I ask this is to try to disprove a sign at a local video store, hehe. Please answer this is you know the answer.

Thanks in advanced. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
My logic has always been that the 12 represents a the start of a new hour, so it needs to be different from 11:59. Therefore 12:00AM must follow 11:59PM and 12:00PM must follow 11:59AM. Likewise it could be said that there is no doubt about 12:01, so simplicity says that we should make 12:00 am if 12:01 is am.

By this logic 12AM is midight and 12PM is noon.

Last edited:
Midnight= 12:00 AM

Noon = 12:00 PM

MidNoon = 12:00 HM

midnight is 00:00 hours, thus AM :rollseyes:

but technically 00:00 on the 25th December is equivalent to 24:00 on the 24th December.. :uhh:

wats the sign at the video store say?

Gamish said:
Is midnight PM or AM? Does midnight end the previous day, or begin the next day? I have read that midnight is PM or AM, I have read that midnight is neither PM nor AM, it is a moment of no time. I have read that computers calculate midnight as 12:00 AM, and noon as 12:00 PM. I am very confused. The reason why I ask this is to try to disprove a sign at a local video store, hehe. Please answer this is you know the answer.

Thanks in advanced. :smile:

It turns out your confusion is justified :tongue2: because it is technically improper to refer to the 12 o'clock hour as AM or PM.

AM stands for Ante Meridian, which is Latin for: before midday

PM stands for Post Meridian, which is Latin for: after midday

At 12 o'clock it is neither before midday nor after midday (midday stands for middle point, not really "day"). The proper terms for the two 12 o'clock hours are midnight and noon; then a second past either it is 12:00:01 AM or 12:00:01 PM, respectively.

Last edited:
Les Sleeth said:
It turns out your confusion is justified :tongue2: because it is technically improper to refer to the 12 o'clock hour as AM or PM.

AM stands for Ante Meridian, which is Latin for: before midday

PM stands for Post Meridian, which is Latin for: after midday

At 12 o'clock it is neither before midday nor after midday (midday stands for middle point, not really "day"). The proper terms for the two 12 o'clock hours are midnight and noon; then a second past either it is 12:00:01 AM or 12:00:01 PM, respectively.
I'll be darned, you're right. http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/general/misc.htm

Noon and midnight aren't technically either one.

Alright then, what is the proper greeting at midnight or noon? Should I avoid greetings at these times..I mean, "good midnight" just doesn't sound right, and "good nooner" could get a person into trouble.

Ivan Seeking said:
Alright then, what is the proper greeting at midnight or noon? Should I avoid greetings at these times..I mean, "good midnight" just doesn't sound right, and "good nooner" could get a person into trouble.

Better than 'Good AM' and 'Good PM'

Ivan Seeking said:

Well, the boundaries for day and night don't lie on midnight and noon. In fact, midnight and noon are the midpoints for day and night, so it should be extremely easy to decide a greeting at these times.

Alternately, you could scribble a word on a napkin without looking and see if it is day or night.

Somehow I don't think you're all following the idea here...:biggrin:

Morning comes before noon, and afternoon come AFTER NOON; thus the paradox. :rolleyes:

Even worse, it was a joke. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

I'm feeling sick, so ignore my mumbling. :grumpy:

Ivan Seeking said:
Words are unneccesary. Just extend a handful of frozen broccoli to the greet-ee and that should be sufficient.

Gokul43201 said:
I'm feeling sick, so ignore my mumbling. :grumpy:

Don't feel bad, Hurkyl just threw me for a good one a few days ago. :biggrin:

I hate it when that happens! :eek:

Wow MIH, is that really you?

MID - eclectic

midnight is middle of the night. it is either one ~ you choose or snooze! once it gets to 11:59:60 it is technically midnight...AFTER that by one secono it is morning, altho it's considered night.

okay. i'll stick with calling it MID-Night-electric no matter what the video store says : )

i gave up believing what i read after reading a few paragraphs of that one book, i can't remember.

(!xck) :eek:

Ivan Seeking said:
That's me - down in Texas. yeehaw! :biggrin:

Yeehaw! Hey there good lookin! :biggrin:

That's really my picture as well. It was a terrible rice picking accident...

midge

MIH

nice picture. you're much prettier than barbie.

IVAN SOUGHT that isn't really you :devil:

(!xck)

If it is exactly midnight and you have to decide whether to call it AM or PM, simply take a deep breath, letting a fraction of a second pass, then you can safely call it AM. Then ask for a 'nooner'.

Ivan and ph, you are so sweet. :smile: Here - have some of this pecan pie I brought back from Texas. *Shoves slices of pie into the computer*
Trib, I would give you a piece of pie also, but I'm afraid you might get the idea to warm it up in the oven. :eek:

Hey - I just noticed - it's 12:00... (AM according to my PC)

Ivan Seeking said:
What at cutie, huh?
Nice hat, Math! :approve: Nice picture, too. :wink:
Can I have some of that pecan pie? :shy:

MIH, you look absolutely beautiful! You are so cute in that hat! I look like a dork in hats. :frown:

Thanks, Evo and Tsu. My baby sis and I thought it might be fun to take some pictures in our cowboy hats while I was down for a visit. :smile:
Here is some Texas pecan pie
*stuffs two large slices of pecan pie into computer* ...
just warmed up in the oven and...
*stuffs two giant scoops of Blue Bell vanilla ice cream into computer*

something to go on top!

Last edited:
Sorry that I never replied yet, its just that when I went to the logic section, there was a "-" on the replies table, so I though man, this is one dead forum, :rolleyes: Yes, I believe midnight is technecly not AM nor PM, but according to logic and computers (which has the final say), midnight is AM, the beginning of a new day, the sign was wrong, hehe. The sign just said that there was a deal from midnight new years eav, to 1:00 AM new years day, when technecly, it should have said that there was a deal from midnight new years day , to 1:00 AM new years day.

Problem solved :)

I thought people put 12 midnight as 12 MN and noon as 12 N ? There is no PM or AM associated with 12 o clock right?

Evo said:
MIH, you look absolutely beautiful! You are so cute in that hat! I look like a dork in hats. :frown:
Tsunami said:
What at cutie, huh?
Nice hat, Math! :approve: Nice picture, too. :wink:
Can I have some of that pecan pie? :shy:
ph said:
MIH

nice picture. you're much prettier than barbie.

IVAN SOUGHT that isn't really you :devil:

(!xck)
I'm lost... I don't see any picture, but I'm guessing its a picture of her with a cowboy hat on, in texas.

It's gone now, Mk.
It was a limited time only thang!
(but your guess was correct)

yes, midnght is AM.

Math Is Hard said:
It's gone now, Mk.
It was a limited time only thang!
(but your guess was correct)
MIH, you tease! Your picture was a lot cuter than Barbie!

It was fun for a while, but I missed my injection-molded look! :biggrin:

What most of them said... Just like 1:00 and 1 second is the turning point from 12 to 1; so is 12:00 and 1 second is the turning point from PM to AM and vice versa.