How do I Solve these two equations?

• Thread starter adam640
  • Start date
In summary, the equations were simplified using the method of adding multiples of one equation to the other in order to eliminate variables and solve for them. In this case, the equations were simplified to 0.8081P and 0.7143P respectively.
adam640
As part of a question on axial load I need to simplify two equations in terms of P ([1] and [2]).

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5757/77260215.png

In the above you can see how FBA and FBC were simplified to 0.8081P and 0.7143P respectively.

I understand both the section prior to this and the one after, though I do not understand how this simplification was carried out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a system of equations of the form
\begin{align}
ax+by&=0\\
cx+dy+e&=0
\end{align} The trick to find x and y is always to add a multiple of one equation to the other so that either x and y is eliminated. (In this case, you can e.g. add -a/c times the second equation to the first equation). Then you have an equation with only one variable, and you can easily find its value. Repeat the procedure for the other variable.

What are the two equations?

The two equations are mathematical expressions that are set equal to each other. They typically involve unknown variables that need to be solved for.

What is the process for solving two equations?

The process for solving two equations involves manipulating the equations using algebraic rules to isolate the unknown variables and find their values. This process is known as solving by elimination or substitution.

Can I solve two equations with more than two unknown variables?

Yes, it is possible to solve two equations with more than two unknown variables. However, you would need additional equations to create a system of equations that can be solved simultaneously.

Do I need to use the same method for solving every pair of equations?

No, there are different methods for solving two equations, such as elimination, substitution, and graphing. The method you use will depend on the type of equations and the variables involved.

What should I do if I cannot solve the equations?

If you are unable to solve the equations, you can try using a graphing calculator or seeking help from a math tutor. It is also important to check your work and make sure you have not made any mistakes in your calculations.