Two Path Test

by mharten1
Tags: path, test
Share this thread:
mharten1
Feb27-12, 03:48 PM
P: 63
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Use the two path test to prove that the following limits do not exist.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow{(0,0)}}\frac{4xy}{3x^2+y^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
The book that I am using introduces the Two Path Test theoretically but does not show an example of how to do it, so I am a bit lost.

Would I set x = y, and x = -y? In some of the more basic problems I was able to set x = 0 and y = 0, and find the limits would differ, proving that there was no limit. But in this case, that's obviously not possible.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Dick
Feb27-12, 03:51 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,246
Those two paths look like a good choice to me. Try them out. What's the limit along each path?
mharten1
Feb27-12, 03:54 PM
P: 63
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
Those two paths look like a good choice to me. Try them out. What's the limit along each path?
I'm getting 1 and -1, thus the limit does not exist. A question that I have that the book does not address: how do I choose the paths? Do you just try what you think will work until you find something, or is there a specific method of choosing?

Dick
Feb27-12, 04:06 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,246
Two Path Test

Quote Quote by mharten1 View Post
I'm getting 1 and -1, thus the limit does not exist. A question that I have that the book does not address: how do I choose the paths? Do you just try what you think will work until you find something, or is there a specific method of choosing?
There's no formula for picking the paths. Just try some until you get a feeling for what's going on. Other easy ones to try are x=0 and y=0.

Register to reply