Alternative chemical energy storage

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a chemical energy storage method that would be easy to produce, easy to extract energy from, contain no carbon or hydrogen atoms, and be non-toxic and easy to handle. Examples given include biodiesel, hydrogen, and ammonia, but the ideal option would meet all four requirements. It is noted that the fuel should also be small in volume and have by-products that can be recycled.
roboticmehdi
Hi everybody. I have been thinking about this a while and could not come up with anything. I was wondering if there any chemical energy storage method that would have these properties:

1) it would be easy to produce
2) it would be easy to extract energy from
3) it would not have any carbon or hydrogen atom in it
4) it would be non-toxic and easy to handle in general

Do you have any ideas for such kind of a chemical energy storage option ?

I can give you example so that you know what i mean but my example will include hydrogen in it. For example, biodiesel meets requirements 1,2 and 4. we can obtain it from plants and easily use in internal combustion engines. and it is easy to handle. Or other example hydrogen. We can put some solar panels to obtain electricity which would decompose water to get hydrogen and compress it in order to use later easily in internal combustion engine something. Or one more example ammonia, NH3, again easy to produce, handle, use in engines, but a little bit toxic. still has hydrogen in it. So i want something that would meet all requiremetns, 1,2,3 and 4.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Note: i gave examples which all require oxygen to work but it is not necessary, also i want that the energy could be extracted as heat, spontaneous heat release not like in battery.

Something where the reaction is with oxygen (or even nitrogen?) has the big advantage that you can combust it with the local atmosphere, otherwise you have to transport the oxidizer along with your fuel.

Ideally, the fuel would be small in volume, and the "ashes" (by-products of combustion) could be retained and recycled into yet more fuel. :!)

1. What is alternative chemical energy storage?

Alternative chemical energy storage involves using non-traditional methods to store and release energy, such as through the use of chemical reactions or through the conversion of renewable energy sources into chemical energy.

2. How does alternative chemical energy storage differ from traditional methods?

Traditional methods of energy storage, such as batteries or fossil fuels, rely on finite resources and can have negative environmental impacts. Alternative chemical energy storage utilizes more sustainable and environmentally friendly processes.

3. What are some examples of alternative chemical energy storage?

Examples include hydrogen fuel cells, pumped hydro storage, and redox flow batteries. These technologies use chemical reactions to store and release energy, and can be powered by renewable sources like solar or wind energy.

4. What are the benefits of alternative chemical energy storage?

Alternative chemical energy storage can help reduce dependence on fossil fuels, decrease carbon emissions, and promote renewable energy sources. It also has the potential to provide more efficient and long-lasting energy storage solutions.

5. What are the challenges of implementing alternative chemical energy storage?

Some challenges include high initial costs, limited scalability, and the need for further research and development. Additionally, the integration of these technologies into existing energy systems may require significant infrastructure changes.