Register to reply

How to reduce friction

by Aki
Tags: friction, reduce
Share this thread:
Aki
Dec31-04, 01:14 AM
P: 82
This is for a lab report that I have to do for physics class. In the lab, we have to tie one end of the string with some mass in one end, add a glass rod through the string, and then tie some more mass to the other end of the string. We have to hold the glass rod and start whirling one end of the mass around in a cir cle. Now my question is, other than adding oil around the rim of the glass rod, what another way to reduce friction? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
derekmohammed
Dec31-04, 07:48 PM
P: 112
One thing you could do is make a bushing. Take a small circular peice of plastic and place it inbetween the string and the glass. You can add some kind of lube inbetween the glass and the plastic to reduce friction in there.

BUT!!!!!!! I think that your teacher choose glass as the medium of the rod becuase it already has a very low static and kinetic friction force. (excuse the terms) ( could not think of the correct definition.)
FredGarvin
Jan1-05, 09:47 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
I'm taking a bit of a stab here because the test set up doesn't make a whole lot ofsense to me. I need to see a picture. How about just rubbing some soap or wax on the string? You can't do too terribly much to the glass to reduce it's mu.

Aki
Jan2-05, 01:10 AM
P: 82
How to reduce friction

Would dental floss(wax) have a smaller mu than a normal rope?
rcgldr
Jan2-05, 03:25 AM
HW Helper
P: 7,134
dental floss
If string isn't required, then go to a sporting goods store and get monofilament fishing line. This stuff has a very low coefficient of friction.

Register to reply