Why do objects take on different color tones when placed near each other?

In summary, when an object has a different color than the surrounding objects, this is because the surrounding objects have absorbed some of the light that is being reflected off the object.
EProph
Forgive me if this is a dumb question but,

I know that when I see an object's "color" I'm really just seeing the wavelengths of light that weren't absorbed by that object's surface (right?).

Why then do some colored objects (matte objects, not glossy objects) take on the different color tones of other nearby objects?
For example, if I put a vibrant red object next to a vibrant blue object, both in a strong diffused light source, why am I able to see red/purple tones in the blue object where it faces the red object (and vice versa)?

As I understand it, white light strikes the red object and then red light is reflected off of the object while the rest of the light's colors are absorbed. This red reflected light then strikes a blue object nearby which takes on a red/purple tone.
Why doesn't the blue object absorb this red light like it absorbed the red light from the white light source?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
EP

Science news on Phys.org
Because nothing reflects only a single wavelength. The red object reflects mainly red but, to a lesser extent, other wavelengths also, including blue. The blue object reflects mainly blue but other wavelengths also, including red. With such red and blue objects together in a white light, the red object will reflect light from the white light but also light that has already reflected from the blue object- in other words, there is more blue "in the light" before it reflects off the red object.

Nice question ,Eprph , but are you SURE that what you say is correct , most surfaces are not perfect in reflecting or absorbing light. Just because something looks blue ( to be precisely defind) does not imply that it reflects nothing than blue ( to be defined )

most surfaces are described as being 'strongly ' absorbent or reflective of a limited range of 'colors' i.e. wavelengths , the surfaces considered are not usually ultra simple atomic absorbers such as gasses where individual atoms maybe at work . Most of the time we are talking of atoms, molecules , in a matrix with far more complex 'states' which is why we feel radiative heat as an example .
All the rules apply -- just the situations are not simple
Ray.

I never thought of it that way. Makes perfect sense though.
I guess I had just assumed (incorrectly) that all of a particular color was being absorbed.

Thanks! :smile:
EP

1. What is color?

Color is a visual perception that is created by the way light reflects off of objects. It is determined by the wavelengths of light that are either absorbed or reflected by an object.

2. How is color created?

Color is created when light hits an object and some of the wavelengths are absorbed, while others are reflected. The reflected wavelengths are then perceived by our eyes as color.

3. What is the difference between additive and subtractive colors?

Additive colors are created by combining light of different colors, while subtractive colors are created by subtracting certain wavelengths of light. Additive colors are used in devices like TVs and computer screens, while subtractive colors are used in printing and painting.

4. Why do objects appear different colors?

Objects appear different colors because they absorb and reflect different wavelengths of light. For example, a red apple appears red because it absorbs all wavelengths of light except for red, which it reflects.

5. How do we see color?

We see color through a process called trichromacy, where our eyes have three types of cone cells that are sensitive to different wavelengths of light. The combination of signals from these cells allows us to perceive a wide range of colors.