Probability problem

by MACHO-WIMP
Tags: probability
Share this thread:
MACHO-WIMP
Mar5-12, 10:21 AM
P: 43
The question is:
Two number cubes are rolled--one is red and the other is white. Find the probability that the red cube is a 6 and the sum of the two cubes is 10.

I said that it is 1/6 for being a 6 and since only a 4 can add up to 10 its 1/6*1/6=1/36. But my teacher said it was wrong. Please help!!!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
HallsofIvy
Mar5-12, 11:58 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
I must say that I think you are correct and your teacher wrong. Are you sure you two are talking about the same problem? If the problem were just "one cube is 6 and the two sum to 10" then then you could get a 6 on either, and a four on the other: (1/6)(1/6)+ (1/6)(1/6)= 1/18.
Ray Vickson
Mar5-12, 12:01 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 4,958
Quote Quote by MACHO-WIMP View Post
The question is:
Two number cubes are rolled--one is red and the other is white. Find the probability that the red cube is a 6 and the sum of the two cubes is 10.

I said that it is 1/6 for being a 6 and since only a 4 can add up to 10 its 1/6*1/6=1/36. But my teacher said it was wrong. Please help!!!
You are correct; your teacher made a mistake. Your teacher would be correct IF you were not told the color of the "6" die---but you *were* told its color.

RGV

Register to reply