Register to reply

Microswitch Voltage Usage Question

by A_someone
Tags: microswitch, usage, voltage
Share this thread:
A_someone
Mar10-12, 03:51 AM
P: 2
I've been thinking of using a microswitch in a project of mine. The switch should indicate when something is hit. However the thing is the voltage requirements I've seen for most of them are really high compared to the rest of what I'm using, as in I'm getting requirements of of over 100 volts of either direct or alternating current while the sensors and motors (which seem much more complicated and voltage consuming to me) require far less

I also remember reading somewhere that the voltage listed on the switches was mainly an upper limit and lower voltages could work. Is this correct? If not, what are are good suggestions for cheap low voltage and current alternatives?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers discover cool-burning flames in space, could lead to better engines on earth (w/ Video)
Professors object to FAA restrictions on drone use
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
NascentOxygen
Mar10-12, 03:54 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,151
Hi A_someone!

The voltage rating on a switch is just its maximum; you can use any mechanical switch on tiny voltages. So go ahead and use it.
davenn
Mar10-12, 03:58 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,501
hi welcome to PF

as long as the voltage and current ratings of the switch are higher than what you intend to put through the switch, then you wont damage the switch

is say you circuit is 12V, it doesnt matter if the switch is rated at 50V 100V or 200V

NOTE... MOST switches have both a DC and an AC voltage and current rating

Dave

A_someone
Mar10-12, 10:18 AM
P: 2
Microswitch Voltage Usage Question

Oh wow, thanks a lot to both of you for being friendly and responding so quickly!

The voltage and current ratings being the maximum does make a bit more sense to me; this will be really useful.

Register to reply