Register to reply

Evaluate where F(x) is differentiable

by sprite1608
Tags: differentiable, evaluate
Share this thread:
sprite1608
Mar18-12, 05:00 PM
P: 2
Hi there, I cannot seem to figure this question out.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Let f: [0,3] -> R be defined as follows
x if 0≤x<1,
f(X)= 1≤x<2
x if 2≤x≤3
obtain formulas for F(x) = for 0≤x≤3 and sketch the graphs of f(x) and F(x). Where is F(x) differentiable? Evaluate F(x) where differentiable.

I missed a day of class and am now totally lost. I've read through the sections in Intro to real analysis by Bartle that cover this section and I get no where. Any help on where to go would be greatly appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
HallsofIvy
Mar18-12, 06:37 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
Quote Quote by sprite1608 View Post

x if 0≤x<1,
f(X)= 1≤x<2
You are missing the definition of f(x) for x between 1 and 2.

x if 2≤x≤3
obtain formulas for F(x) = for 0≤x≤3 and sketch the graphs of f(x) and F(x). Where is F(x) differentiable? Evaluate F(x) where differentiable.

I missed a day of class and am now totally lost. I've read through the sections in Intro to real analysis by Bartle that cover this section and I get no where. Any help on where to go would be greatly appreciated!
Hopefully, you know that f(x)= x is differentiable for all x. I suspect that the missing formula for x between 1 and 2 also defines a differentiable function. If that is the case, the only problem is whether the function is differentiable at the "joints", x= 1 and x= 2. Apply the definition of the derivative,
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(a+h)- f(a)}{h}[/tex]
with a= 1 and then with a= 2. Look at the one sided limits.
sprite1608
Mar18-12, 06:46 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
You are missing the definition of f(x) for x between 1 and 2.
shoot. I missed that when I checked it over. it is f(x) = 1 if 1≤x<2

With that information, would it really make much of a difference to what you said previously?

SammyS
Mar18-12, 08:40 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,819
Evaluate where F(x) is differentiable

Quote Quote by sprite1608 View Post

x if 0≤x<1,
f(X)= 1 if 1≤x<2
x if 2≤x≤3

You have f(x) and F(x). What relationship is being assumed between those two functions?

Register to reply