Understanding Water Hardness: Causes and Solutions | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of water hardness, specifically the causes and possible resolutions. The person is stumped on why the water on the lower floors of a building is harder than on the upper floors. Suggestions are given, such as temperature and water pressure, but more ideas are requested. The conversation also explores the potential conclusion that more water is required to flow through pipes closer to the building's water entry point.
noname2020x

Homework Statement

I know what causes water hardness, how it can be resolved (or dissolved - hehe), but I'm not sure why certain parts of pipes would be harder than others. Specifically, why the water on the 1st and 2nd floor of a building would be harder than that on the 3rd and 4th floor. I have to write a ten page paper on these findings, and I'm stumped. Suggestions? Possible causes?

Homework Equations

2 HCO3– → CO32– + CO2

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I can think of is that is may be warmer in the basement making the Ca2+ ions react with bicarbonate forming buildup.The problem is, the water from the same pipes (I assume) travels to the top floor.

HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
the water pressure would be higher at the bottom of the building

Thanks! I will add that to my paper for sure. Any more suggestions?

Any more ideas?

why the water on the 1st and 2nd floor of a building would be harder than that on the 3rd and 4th floor.
Is this a conclusion you arrived at based on the observed greater buildup of scale on the lower pipes? Is it a "safe" conclusion?

Perhaps more water is required to flow through pipes the closer they are to the level at which water enters the building?

1. What is water hardness?

Water hardness refers to the concentration of calcium and magnesium ions in water. These minerals are naturally present in water and can cause scaling and other issues in household appliances and plumbing.

2. How is water hardness measured?

Water hardness is typically measured in parts per million (ppm) or grains per gallon (gpg). This can be determined through a water test or by contacting your local water supplier.

3. What causes water hardness?

Water hardness is caused by the presence of dissolved calcium and magnesium ions in water, which come from the surrounding soil and rock formations. Water can also pick up these minerals as it travels through pipes and other infrastructure.

4. What are the effects of hard water?

Hard water can cause a variety of issues, including scaling on pipes and appliances, reduced efficiency of soaps and detergents, and dry skin and hair. It can also lead to buildup in water heaters, reducing their lifespan.

5. How can water hardness be reduced?

Water hardness can be reduced through the use of a water softener, which uses ion exchange to remove calcium and magnesium ions and replace them with sodium or potassium ions. Other methods include reverse osmosis or distillation, but these can be more expensive and may also remove beneficial minerals from the water.