Connection coefficients as derivatives of parallel propagator

by ianhoolihan
Tags: coefficients, connection, derivatives, parallel, propagator
ianhoolihan
Mar25-12, 07:33 PM
P: 145
Hi all,

I've been fiddling around with this problem for a while. I intuitively understand that the parallel propagator is the path integral of the connection. I would like to be able to show the converse (connection is derivative of parallel propagator) mathematically, and I am having a little trouble.

I've been thinking of the parallel propagator as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paralle...llel_transport. I understand how to formulate the covariant derivative
[tex]
\nabla_X V = \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\Gamma(\gamma)_h^0V_{\gamma(h)} - V_{\gamma(0)}}{h} = \frac{d}{dt}\Gamma(\gamma)_t^0V_{\gamma(t)}\Big|_{t=0}.
[/tex]
(Actually not really the second equality -- is this letting [itex]V_{\gamma(0)}=\Gamma(\gamma)_0^0V_{\gamma(0)}[/itex]?)

However, the above link doesn't really show what the connection is. Yet, if you evaluate the last term of the above equation, then using the product rule you've got a term with the derivative of [itex]V[/itex] and a term with the derivative of the parallel propagator. This is what you'd expect for the covariant derivative of a vector, where the connecton coefficients are the derivatives of the parallel propagator.

Nonetheless, I'm unable to make this all work out mathematically, so I was wondering if anyone could give me a hint? That is, on how the connection coefficients are the derivatives of the parallel propagator.

Cheers.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
ianhoolihan
Mar26-12, 03:39 PM
P: 145
Well it looks like lots of people have viewed this thread, so I guess that means some interest. Can anyone shed some light, or offer a suggestion?

Cheers

Register to reply