Register to reply

Integral of dx/(sqrt(d^2+x^2))

by carlosbgois
Tags: dx or sqrtd2, integral
Share this thread:
carlosbgois
Mar30-12, 11:43 AM
P: 49
Hi there. Evaluating the expression [itex]\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}[/itex] I can get to the result [itex]ln(\frac{x+\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}{d})[/itex], but in my book it goes from this directly to [itex]ln (x+\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}})[/itex], a result wolframalpha says is valid for 'restricted [itex]x[/itex] values'. What does it mean? What are those restricted values? Why?

Many thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
DonAntonio
Mar30-12, 12:50 PM
P: 606
Quote Quote by carlosbgois View Post
Hi there. Evaluating the expression [itex]\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}[/itex] I can get to the result [itex]ln(\frac{x+\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}{d})[/itex], but in my book it goes from this directly to [itex]ln (x+\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}})[/itex], a result wolframalpha says is valid for 'restricted [itex]x[/itex] values'. What does it mean? What are those restricted values? Why?

Many thanks.

Well, since this is indefinite integration both the results are correct as their difference is just the constant [itex]-\ln d[/itex].

The question is: where did you get the constant [itex]d[/itex] from??

The result is valid for any values of [itex]x,y, s.t. x^2+y^2\neq 0[/itex]

DonAntonio
carlosbgois
Mar30-12, 12:54 PM
P: 49
Thank you. 'd' is actually a constant length (the distance from a point p to a disk, in an axis that goes through the center of the disk)

Register to reply