Register to reply

Water Flow, Mass Flow through 5 Gallon Jug

by bhaarat316
Tags: flow, gallon, mass, water
Share this thread:
bhaarat316
Apr6-12, 05:34 PM
P: 3
Here is the run down first, I'm trying to find a min mass flow rate for my project which needs to be 1 GPM, and max 4 GPM. Now water is going out of a 5 gallon jug, that has the top cut off, and the water is flowing into a PVC pipe. The area is already set at 1.5 inches, which I know is to big. I need to find the velocity of water at atm pressure, and then the diameter of the circle which the water will funnel through. I did some work I just need help making sure I did it right, basically a check over. think of it as a Deer Park 5 gallon bottle, like the ones for water dispenser, but the top cut off, and it flowing out the nozzle.

Man how do I use the Latex thing?

So, I know V=[itex]\sqrt{2*19.5 inches * 387.6 inches/s^{2}}[/itex]
V=122.95 inches/sec, 10.245 ft/s = 614.7 ft/min

Now the simple equation of Q=VA

1 GPM->.13[itex]ft^{3}[/itex]/min = 614.7ft/min * A
.03024 in^2 = A(min)
sqrt(.03024/∏)= r(min) = .09811 inches

We would have to reduce our inner diameter to .19622 inches.
Now is this right? I can't believe that? I was initial thinking it would be a DE since our mass flow would be varying, depending the height of the water, gravity would be pushing it through the main system.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
mfb
Apr7-12, 07:41 AM
Mentor
P: 11,917
A sketch would help to understand your calculations.
In addition, SI units would make unit conversions much easier.

I was initial thinking it would be a DE since our mass flow would be varying, depending the height of the water, gravity would be pushing it through the main system.
Based on your description of your system, I think this is true. Probably your 19.5 inches would vary.
bhaarat316
Apr7-12, 08:49 PM
P: 3
Click image for larger version

Name:	mass flow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	45988

gravity will force the water through the tank and I need to figure out what the diameter will be, to get 1 gpm.

Register to reply