Register to reply

Acids and Bases. How to tell if a compound is an acid or base or neautral?

by Raishah
Tags: acids, alkali, bases, hydrolysis
Share this thread:
Raishah
Apr20-12, 03:55 AM
P: 4
I've been given a question on how to tell whether a compound is an acid or base or neautral in an aquesous solution.

Na2CO3

Please help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
Raishah
Apr20-12, 03:59 AM
This is important! Please help me.
Borek
Apr20-12, 06:08 AM
Admin
P: 23,533
In this particular case - what do you know about carbonic acid? Is it strong, or weak? What do you know about salts of strong acids? What do you know about salts of weak acids?

Also please read forum rules. You have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy.

Raishah
Apr20-12, 07:02 AM
Acids and Bases. How to tell if a compound is an acid or base or neautral?

Well, I'm in grade 12, and I'm struggling. I was wondering, How do I figure out the ph without googling it, I did spend hours trying to find the answer, that didn't involve googling the actual answer, but all that really did was throw words in my head, and confused me til no end. I don't know much about carbonic acid, I guess I'm not asking what the answer is, but more, how do I get to it without searching various factors of the carbonic acid.
Borek
Apr20-12, 07:30 AM
Admin
P: 23,533
First of all - is it a strong acid, or a weak acid?
JameB
Apr20-12, 05:29 PM
P: 25
Quote Quote by Raishah View Post
I've been given a question on how to tell whether a compound is an acid or base or neautral in an aquesous solution.

Na2CO3

Please help.
What happens to a compound like Na2CO3 in an aqueous solution?

What happens when an acid and a base react?
- If a solution contained a strong acid and a strong base (and vice versa) what would the resulting solution be? Acidic or basic?

Answer those questions and think about it.

Register to reply