Register to reply

Whats the best highschool physics book?

by TrevorRyan
Tags: book, highschool, physics
Share this thread:
jbmiller
May5-12, 12:54 AM
P: 122
I've heard ALOT of good things about this book. I would highly recommend it, but I've also heard that it really isn't math based. Which is good if it's your first physics class in highschool (so it's probably based off Alg II). So don't worry about the math portion of physics, but the 2nd physics course you take in highschool I would recommend a somewhat based physics book.

http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Phy...6197062&sr=1-1
Broccoli21
May5-12, 03:56 AM
P: 70
What do you mean by "Highschool Physics"? This could be a range of things.
Anyways:
Halliday/Resnick: "Fundamentals of Physics" is a great book. Probably the best highschool physics book in my opinion.

jbmiller
May5-12, 01:11 PM
Whats the best highschool physics book?

Quote Quote by Broccoli21 View Post
Halliday/Resnick: "Fundamentals of Physics" is a great book. Probably the best highschool physics book in my opinion.
I've heard alot of god things about that one too. It will probably be one of the two I get.
qspeechc
May5-12, 02:19 PM
P: 792
It looks like Conceptual Physics uses very little mathematics, and Halliday and Resnick uses calculus, so two rather different books. If you know calculus, the latter is excellent. I'm not familiar with any books that don't use calculus, so sorry I can't help there.
TrevorRyan
May5-12, 05:18 PM
P: 15
I will be taking precalculus along side whatever physics book I use. I don't mind if the textbook has a lot of calculus because I'm kind of a math geek, even though I'm only currently taking algebra II. Thanks again for the replies, the Halliday/Resnick book seems very well structured and has a lot of good reviews.

-Trevor
mishima
May6-12, 12:39 AM
P: 303
I prefer Hsu to Hewitt for a 9th grade "physics first" course. I believe both were designed with that program in mind.

http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Ph.../dp/1588920577

However, the accompanying lab book is not worth anything. For advanced classes, I think the International Baccalaureate programs texts easily dominate. There is a standard level and a high level version.

http://www.amazon.com/Pearson-Baccal...6282644&sr=1-6
Infinitum
May6-12, 02:43 AM
P: 854
Halliday Resnick - Fundamentals of Physics is the best I've read. Go with this first for sure.

Feynman lectures on physics(I and II for high school), are quite amazing too. Good to read alongside HR if you have time.
Broccoli21
May6-12, 02:45 AM
P: 70
Quote Quote by TrevorRyan View Post
I will be taking precalculus along side whatever physics book I use. I don't mind if the textbook has a lot of calculus because I'm kind of a math geek, even though I'm only currently taking algebra II.
Even if you are a math geek, I don't think algebra II or precalc is even close to an adequate prerequisite for Halliday/Resnick. You should go with one of the algebra-based textbooks rather than calculus-based ones, then study calc-based physics after (or while) you take calculus. A good book at this level is:

"Physics, Principles with Applications", by Douglas Giancoli

After you finish this, pick up Halliday/Resnick (and the feynman lectures if you want). You'll be much more prepared.
genericusrnme
May6-12, 02:46 AM
P: 615
What exactly is supposed to be in a highschool physics textbook?
All of these 'all in one' physics textbooks always grated on me, I always prefered seperate books.

Edit;
Quote Quote by Broccoli21 View Post
Even if you are a math geek, I don't think algebra II or precalc is even close to an adequate prerequisite for Halliday/Resnick. You should go with one of the algebra-based textbooks rather than calculus-based ones, then study calc-based physics after (or while) you take calculus. A good book at this level is:.
He could take a week out of physics to learn basic calculus and he'd be good to go.
Infinitum
May6-12, 03:04 AM
P: 854
Knowledge of basic rules of differentiation and integration are quite adequate for most parts of Halliday/Resnick. Also, the first couple chapters don't involve calculus at all, so you can easily learn the basics along with your physics course.
FrugalIntelle
May7-12, 09:18 AM
P: 6
Modern physics, trinklein. This is the book we are currently using in my high school physics class. I'm sure u can find used ones on amazon and it is totally algebra based. I would highly recommend it since it has lots of explanations and practice problems.
jbmiller
May7-12, 10:24 AM
Quote Quote by FrugalIntelle View Post
Modern physics, trinklein. This is the book we are currently using in my high school physics class. I'm sure u can find used ones on amazon and it is totally algebra based. I would highly recommend it since it has lots of explanations and practice problems.
http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Physics...6404241&sr=1-2

Is this the book you're talking about?
FrugalIntelle
May7-12, 10:36 AM
P: 6
Yeah that's it sorry I couldn't post a link before. I'm I'm school right now and I'm usin my phone :/

Register to reply