by atomicpedals
Tags: atom, bohr, maclaurin, relativistic, series
Share this thread:
atomicpedals
May6-12, 09:53 PM
P: 196
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

By expanding a MacLaurin Series show that
[tex]E_{n}=\epsilon_{n} - \mu c^{2} = - \frac{w_{0}Z^{2}}{n^{2}}[1+\frac{\alpha^{2} Z^{2}}{n}(\frac{1}{k}-\frac{3}{4n})][/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Through a lengthy derivation I arrived at
[tex]\epsilon_{n}=\frac{\mu c^2}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Z^{2}\alpha^{2}}{n_{r}+\sqrt{l^{2}-Z^{2}\alpha^{2}}}}}[/tex]
I should add that k is what the text is using for the azimuthal quantum number, I used l in my derivation out of habit.
3. The attempt at a solution
I've got no ideas where to go with this thing. I should take advantage of identites
[tex]\sqrt{1-x}=1-\frac{x}{2}-\frac{x^{2}}{8}+...[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{1+x}=1+...[/tex]
Do I need to make some aggressive substitutions?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
atomicpedals
May7-12, 01:33 PM
I think I can make the following justifiable substitution
[tex]\epsilon_{n}=\frac{\mu c^2}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Z^{2}\alpha^{2}}{n'}}}[/tex]
Where [itex]n' = n_{r} + \sqrt{l^{2}-Z^{2} \alpha^{2}}[/itex]. But this still doesn't get me any closer to arriving at [itex]E_{n}=\epsilon_{n} - \mu c^{2} = - \frac{w_{0}Z^{2}}{n^{2}}[1+\frac{\alpha^{2} Z^{2}}{n}(\frac{1}{k}-\frac{3}{4n})][/itex] through a Maclaurin series.
atomicpedals
May7-12, 03:53 PM
Ok, I may be closer... using the substitution above to put [itex]E_{n} = \epsilon_{n} - \mu c^{2}[/itex] in terms of n' I can calculate a Maclaurin series as follows
[tex]- \mu c^{2} + \frac{\mu c^{2} \sqrt{n'}}{\alpha Z} - \frac{n^{3/2} (\mu c^{2} \alpha Z)}{2(\alpha^{4} Z^{4})} + \frac{n^{5/2} (3 \mu c^{2} \alpha Z)}{8 \alpha^{6} Z^{6}} - ...[/tex]
Am I on the right track to the final [itex]E_{n}[/itex]?

Register to reply