Electric potential/potential energy

by triplezero24
Tags: electric, energy
Share this thread:
triplezero24
Jan19-05, 07:39 PM
P: 16
Ok I have a couple questions here.

1. Calculate the speed of a proton and an electron after each particle accelerates from rest through a potential difference of 190V.

I think I got the part of the electron because I randomly came across the energy value of an electron. The equation I'm using is 1/2mv^2 = q(190V)

2. A hydrogen electron orbits its proton in a circular orbit of radius 0.529X10^-10 meters. What is the electric potential due to the proton at the electron's orbit?

V=kq/r right? But where do I find the q??

3. A uniform electric field E=7500 N/C points in the negative x direction. What is the distance between the +14-V and +16-V equipotentials?

I have no idea on this one.

Any help on any of these woulod be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton in advance.

Eric
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
MathStudent
Jan19-05, 07:47 PM
P: 281
part 1 looks right... you can do the same for a proton just don't forget to change the values of m and q.

part 2: thats the right equ'n... the q is referring to the source charge which in this case I believe to be the charge of the proton (should be in your book / same as e but opposite sign)

part 3: the equ'n for potential for a uniform electrical field is ED
triplezero24
Jan19-05, 08:04 PM
Quote Quote by MathStudent
part 1 looks right... you can do the same for a proton just don't forget to change the values of m and q.

part 2: thats the right equ'n... the q is referring to the source charge which in this case I believe to be the charge of the proton (should be in your book / same as e but opposite sign)

part 3: the equ'n for potential for a uniform electrical field is ED
For part 1 I just don't see how to get the q for the proton. I just stumbled upon it for the other part.

FOr part 2 the q value is definitely not in my book. I looked in all the appendices and everything.

For part 3 you're saying that V = ED?

MathStudent
Jan19-05, 08:19 PM
Electric potential/potential energy

Quote Quote by triplezero24
For part 1 I just don't see how to get the q for the proton. I just stumbled upon it for the other part.

FOr part 2 the q value is definitely not in my book. I looked in all the appendices and everything.

Realize that the charge of the proton is equal to that of an electron but has the opposite sign (that is its positive)... I believe I said this in an earlier post
Quote Quote by triplezero24
If you don't believe me remember that
[tex]\Delta V = \int\vec{E}\cdot\vec{dl}[/tex]
since [itex]\vec{E} [/itex] is constant , this can be taken out of the integral
and this becomes
[tex]\Delta V = \vec{E}\int\vec{dl} [/tex]
And since [tex]\int\vec{dl} [/tex] is just equal to the distance traveled by the particle
[tex]\Delta V = ED [/tex]
(where the above integrals are definite line integrals whose lower limit is the starting point and upper limit is the end point of the path )
triplezero24
Jan19-05, 08:20 PM
Quote Quote by MathStudent
Realize that the charge of the proton is equal to that of an electron but has the opposite sign (that is its positive)... I believe I said this in an earlier post

If you don't believe me remember that
[tex]\DeltaV = \int\vec{E}\cdot\vec{dl}[/tex]
since [itex]\vec{E} [/itex] is constant , this can be taken out of the integral
and this becomes
[tex]\DeltaV = \vec{E}\int\vec{dl} [/tex]
And since [tex]\int\vec{dl} [/tex] is just equal to the distance traveled by the particle
[tex]\DeltaV = ED [/tex]

Sorry if it sounded like I didn't believe you. I just didn't fully understand you.
MathStudent
Jan19-05, 08:21 PM
Thats fine.... you should question everything rather than take it at face value, its part of the learning process :)

PS: It should show a "Delta v" before each equals sign,,, is it showing up for you?
triplezero24
Jan19-05, 08:34 PM
It doesn't show, but it makes more sense now. Thanks a bunch.

Register to reply