Submit this essay for summer programs?

by Simfish
Tags: essay, programs, submit, summer
Share this thread:
Simfish
Jan20-05, 08:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 828
I'm applying to 3-4 summer programs (Summer Science Program, NASA SHARP, UW Summer Academy, and maybe another). I'm thinking of attaching some of my own work - but I'm wondering if this work is impressive for a sophomore applying to a highly competitive summer science program - Should I submit it as a piece of my sample work to these programs?... (I submitted it for the DuPont Science Essay Challenge)/

Thanks for your input!

Of course, one thing is - most of the feedback I've received was "Good job, science was too difficult" or "pretty good," which is an indication that the essay wasn't too great and that the reader didn't want to hurt my feelings (although it wasn't too bad either). Hopefully, I'll get some new responses.

Essay is at...

http://simfish89.tripod.com/dupontscienceessay.doc
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
MathStudent
Jan20-05, 09:04 PM
P: 281
give us the essay question or prompt so we know what your objective is
Moonbear
Jan20-05, 09:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Other than an overuse of hyphens, it is otherwise well-written. Just to clarify, when you say you're a sophomore, do you mean high school or college? If you're in high school, this would be a good example of your work if the applications require such material.

Simfish
Jan21-05, 12:24 AM
PF Gold
P: 828
Submit this essay for summer programs?

Well - Prompt is essentially - write whatever you know about whatever topic you choose. ;)

I'm a high school sophomore. Summer progs don't require it so it much be especially good for me to submit it to them - or else I'll just be seen as trying to pile up stuff on them.
Moonbear
Jan21-05, 01:01 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by Simfishy
Well - Prompt is essentially - write whatever you know about whatever topic you choose. ;)

I'm a high school sophomore. Summer progs don't require it so it much be especially good for me to submit it to them - or else I'll just be seen as trying to pile up stuff on them.
If they don't ask for it, don't send it, unless there's a statement permitting optional supplemental material. It could hurt your chances if you don't follow the application instructions and bog them down with extra material to read.

Register to reply