Maximum moments in 2-span beams

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating maximum moments in a 2-span continuous beam with two different uniformly distributed loads at different spans. The speaker, a first year civil engineering student, is looking for a simple way to find the maximum bending moment in the beam. The expert suggests using moment distribution with one release, redistributing the difference in moments at the centre support in proportion to the stiffnesses of the two beams. They also mention that averaging the end moments at the centre support can provide a close approximation of the maximum bending moment. However, for a more accurate bending moment diagram, the final centre moment should be used to find the reactions at the end supports.
danyjr
1. How do you calculate the maximum moments in a 2-span continuous beam?

2 span beam with 2 different uniformly distributed loads (UDL) at different spans:

i46.tinypic.com/2d7zpw.jpg

I am a first year civil engineering student. This is apparently a statically indeterminate structure with one redundancy so I can't solve the problem using equilibrium equations.

I have seen a method called Moment Distribution but the examples seem to be available for 3 spans or more. Is there any simple way to find maximum bending moment in the beam?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean, a statically indeterminate structure. You should look into the force method for this. Depends on what you need, I think you may also find tables with moment diagrams for such beams.

Taking each span as a propped cantilever, the end moment at the centre support with a udl would be q*L*L/8. The difference between the moments at the centre support is then redistributed in proportion to the stiffnesses of the two beams. That is, moment distribution with just one release. You should be able to adapt from an example with three spans.

I notice that if you average the end moments (at the centre) in this case, the correct answer is very close (<0.3%) to that, and is what an engineer might use in practice

Hi and thanks for responses.

Do you mean average the end moments (at centre support) ie M1=(q*L^2)/8 from the left hand span and M2=(q*L^2)/8 from right hand span?

(M1+M2)/2 = Max bending moment in the whole span

Correct?

That is what I meant, although it is not strictly correct for unequal spans and unequal udl's. Then stiffness K1 of left hand span is 1/L1. Hence k2 also. Then distribution factors DF's are k1/(k1+k2) and k2/(k1+k2) (The DF's should add up to 1). The moment at the centre is the maximum moment in the beam, but not as a matter of principle. To get the full bending moment diagram you need to take your final centre moment and use it (with the other loads) to find the reactions at the end supports. Then you can find the M at any section in the beam and draw the M diagram.

Thank you!

1. What is a maximum moment in a 2-span beam?

A maximum moment in a 2-span beam is the point of the beam where the bending stress is at its highest. This occurs at the point where the load is the greatest and the beam experiences the most bending.

2. How is the maximum moment calculated in a 2-span beam?

The maximum moment in a 2-span beam is calculated using the formula Mmax = WL/8, where W is the total load on the beam and L is the length of the beam.

3. What factors can affect the maximum moment in a 2-span beam?

The maximum moment in a 2-span beam can be affected by the type and distribution of the load, the material and size of the beam, and the support conditions at each end of the beam.

4. How does the maximum moment affect the design of a 2-span beam?

The maximum moment is an important consideration in the design of a 2-span beam as it determines the size and shape of the beam needed to support the load. The beam must be strong enough to withstand the maximum moment without failing.

5. Can the maximum moment in a 2-span beam be reduced?

Yes, the maximum moment in a 2-span beam can be reduced by adjusting the load distribution, using a stronger material or larger beam size, or providing additional support at the ends of the beam.