Register to reply

Closed subspace of a Lindelöf space is Lindelöf

by Rasalhague
Tags: lindelöf, space, subspace
Share this thread:
Rasalhague
Jul6-12, 11:36 AM
P: 1,402
I'm looking at Rao: Topology, Proposition 1.5.4, "A closed subspace of a Lindelöf space is Lindelöf." He gives a proof, which seems clear enough, using the idea that for each open cover of the subspace, there is an open cover of the superspace. But I can't yet see where he uses the fact that the subspace is closed. That's to say, I can't see why the proposition isn't true of an arbitrary subspace.

Here is Rao's proof in full. In his notation, given a topological space [itex](X,\cal{T})[/itex] with a subset [itex]A \subseteq X[/itex], then [itex]\cal{T}_A[/itex] is the subspace topology for [itex]A[/itex].

Let [itex]A[/itex] be a closed subspace of a Lindelöf space [itex](X,\cal{T})[/itex]. Let [itex]C=\left \{ G_\lambda : \lambda \in \Lambda \right \}[/itex] be a [itex]\cal{T}_A[/itex]-open cover of [itex]A[/itex]. Then [itex]G_\lambda = H_\lambda \cap A[/itex] for some [itex]H_\lambda \in \cal{T}[/itex].

Now [itex]\left \{ H_\lambda : \lambda \in \Lambda \right \}[/itex] is a [itex]\cal{T}[/itex]-open cover of [itex]A[/itex]. Hence [itex]\left \{ H_\lambda : \lambda \in \Lambda \right \} \cup (X\setminus A)[/itex] is a [itex]\cal{T}[/itex]-open cover for [itex]X[/itex].

Since [itex]X[/itex] is Lindelöf, we can extract from this cover a countable subcover of [itex]X[/itex], say [itex]\left \{ H_{\lambda_1},H_{\lambda_2},... \right \}[/itex]. Accordingly, [itex]\left \{ G_{\lambda_1},G_{\lambda_2},... \right \}[/itex] is an open subcover of [itex]A[/itex]. Hence [itex](A,\cal{T}_A)[/itex] is Lindelöf.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
micromass
Jul6-12, 12:11 PM
Mentor
P: 18,278
This sentence:

Hence [itex]\left \{ H_\lambda : \lambda \in \Lambda \right \} \cup (X\setminus A)[/itex] is a [itex]\cal{T}[/itex]-open cover for [itex]X[/itex].
says not only that it is a cover, but that the [itex]H_\lambda[/itex] and [itex]X\setminus A[/itex] are open. The latter is of course only true if A is closed.
Rasalhague
Jul6-12, 01:05 PM
Okay, I see. In that case, yes, he has only shown that the statement is true when [itex]A[/itex] is closed. But [itex]\left \{ H_\lambda : \lambda \in \Lambda \right \}\cup X[/itex] is also an open cover for [itex]X[/itex], whether or not [itex]A[/itex] is closed.

micromass
Jul6-12, 01:08 PM
Mentor
Closed subspace of a Lindelöf space is Lindelöf

Quote Quote by Rasalhague View Post
Okay, I see. In that case, yes, he has only shown that the statement is true when [itex]A[/itex] is closed. But [itex]\left \{ H_\lambda : \lambda \in \Lambda \right \}\cup X[/itex] is also an open cover for [itex]X[/itex], whether or not [itex]A[/itex] is closed.
No, the [itex]H_\lambda[/itex] only form a cover of A. It is not known that they also cover X. They might cover X, but nothing has been said about that.

For example, take [itex]X=\mathbb{R}[/itex] and A=[0,1].
Let G1=[0,3/4[ and G2=]1/4,1]. Then we might take H1=]-1,3/4[ and H2=]1/4,2[. But these do not cover X.
Rasalhague
Jul6-12, 01:52 PM
Ah, I get it! Thanks, micromass.

I realized that [itex]\left \{ H_\lambda : \lambda \in \Lambda \right \}[/itex] is not necessarily an open cover of [itex]X[/itex], but I reasoned that since [itex]X[/itex] is open, [itex]\left \{ H_\lambda : \lambda \in \Lambda \right \}\cup X[/itex] is an open cover of [itex]X[/itex], so we can extract an open subcover [itex]\left \{ H_{\lambda_1},H_{\lambda_2},...,X \right \}[/itex]. What I was forgetting is that the corresponding open cover of [itex]A[/itex], namely [itex]\left \{ H_{\lambda_1},H_{\lambda_2},...,Y \right \}[/itex] is not necessarily a subcover for [itex]C=\left \{ G_\lambda : \lambda \in \Lambda \right \}[/itex] since it's not necessarily the case that [itex]Y\in C[/itex].
micromass
Jul6-12, 01:55 PM
Mentor
Ah, I get it! Thanks, micromass.

I realized that [itex]\left \{ H_\lambda : \lambda \in \Lambda \right \}[/itex] is not necessarily an open cover of [itex]X[/itex], but I reasoned that since [itex]X[/itex] is open, [itex]\left \{ H_\lambda : \lambda \in \Lambda \right \}\cup X[/itex] is an open cover of [itex]X[/itex], so we can extract an open subcover [itex]\left \{ H_{\lambda_1},H_{\lambda_2},...,X \right \}[/itex].
How does that help?? I can extract {X} as subcover. That doesn't really get me anywhere.
Rasalhague
Jul6-12, 02:11 PM
Yeah, and it doesn't help (show that the statement is true of an arbitrary subspace) because the [itex]\cal{T}_Y[/itex]-open set which in the subspace topology corresponds to [itex]X[/itex] is [itex]Y=X\cap Y[/itex], and - of course - there's no guarantee that [itex]Y[/itex] will belong to an arbitrary [itex]\cal{T}_Y[/itex]-open cover of [itex]Y[/itex].
Rasalhague
Jul6-12, 02:17 PM
Now, I wonder if we can find an example of a Lindelöf space with a non-Lindelöf subspace, what I guess would be called a "weakly" (or nonhereditarily) Lindelöf space.
micromass
Jul6-12, 02:21 PM
Mentor
Now, I wonder if we can find an example of a Lindelöf space with a non-Lindelöf subspace...
Well, it won't be a metric space. All subspaces of a Lindelof metric space are Lindelof, for the simple reason that Lindelof is equivalent to second countable in metric spaces.

But as a counterexample, perhaps take the one-point compactification of an uncountable, discrete space.

Register to reply