Finding magnitude of electric field at center of square

In summary, electric charges are arranged in 10 squares at the corner of a square. The electric potential of each square is calculated, and the electric field at the center of the square is also calculated. The electric potential and electric field can be ranked according to magnitude.
s-f
In each situation below, electric charges are arranged at the corner of a square. Each charge Q has the same magnitude with the signs indicated in the diagrams. Rank the electric potential from most positive to most negative, and the magnitude of the electric field at the center of the square.

So basically there are 10 squares; each has a charge in each corner. I know how to calculate the electric potential of each square, but not the electric field. I know this involves vectors which is something I don't know anything about (not sure what i hat or j hat mean). For example, here is 1 square:

(+)(+)
( -)( -)

2 positive charges on top, 2 negative ones on bottom. The Voltage/electric potential is clearly 0. How is the magnitude of the electric field calculated?

E = kq/r2

Physics news on Phys.org
You can actually solve this square without using vectors, just some geometry.

You have four electric fields (one for each charge). Two of them point to the lower right corner and the other two point to the lower left corner. All of this fields can be easily computed using the formula you gave.

Now the thing is, once you have the field produced by each charge, how do you get the total field. THe thing to notice here is that the fields form a 90º angle between them, so you have an square triangle. You can just use pythagoras theorem to get the total field.

How do you know that 2 point to the lower right corner and that 2 point to the low left?

Well, the electric field always points in the direction positive charges would move under its action.

So te two positive charges should move a positive charge away from them, and the two negative ones should move it towards them. Think of it a little, watch the drawing and its pretty clear that two point to the loewr right and the other two to the lower left.

Ok I think I get it - you don't need vectors or even geometry really, since they're simply asking to rank by magnitude - I just drew arrows for each charge and compared each box visually to get the answers. Thanks for your explanation.

1. How do you find the magnitude of the electric field at the center of a square?

The magnitude of the electric field at the center of a square can be found by using the formula E = kQ/a^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the square, and a is the length of one side of the square.

2. What is the significance of finding the magnitude of the electric field at the center of a square?

Finding the magnitude of the electric field at the center of a square is important because it helps us understand the strength and direction of the electric field at that point. This information can be used to calculate the force on a charged particle placed at the center of the square.

3. Can the magnitude of the electric field at the center of a square be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the electric field at the center of a square can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive charge at the center of the square.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of the electric field at the center of a square?

The magnitude of the electric field at the center of a square is affected by the charge of the square, the distance from the center of the square to the charge, and the dielectric constant of the material surrounding the square.

5. Is the magnitude of the electric field at the center of a square affected by the shape of the square?

Yes, the magnitude of the electric field at the center of a square is affected by the shape of the square. The formula for the electric field assumes a square with equal sides, so if the sides are not equal, the magnitude of the electric field will be different.