Register to reply

Angular momentum and orbital angular momentum problems

by sebasalekhine7
Tags: angular, momentum, orbital
Share this thread:
sebasalekhine7
Feb4-05, 11:17 PM
P: 23
1. A proton of mass rotates with an angular speed of 2*10^6 rad/s in a circle of radius 0.8m in a cyclotron. What is the orbital angular momentum of the proton?

2.An object's angular momentum changes by 10Kgm/s^2. What magnitude average torque acted on this object?

3. A pulsar which emits radio waves 642 times per second has a mass of 2*10^30 kg and has a radius of only 15km.
a) What is the linear speed of a point on the equator of this pulsar? Ignore relativistic effects.
b) If our sun, with mass 2*10^30 kg and radius 7*10^5 km had the same angular momentum as this pulsar, approximately what would its rotational period be?

BTW, how do I upload an avatar to my profile? I tried in the CP but I didn't find any option that would allow me to do so.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Gokul43201
Feb4-05, 11:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Read this before posting
sebasalekhine7
Feb5-05, 12:55 PM
I understand what you mean by your post, but I have little to work with, since we are not having these topics in our physics class, this is independent study for the science league. Let's see, I have [tex]I=2/5MR^2[/tex] , I also have [tex]\omega=v/r[/tex]

I think 3a is like this: Ok, I think I have 3a. it is rotating at [tex](642rev/s)(2\pi rad/rev)(15000m)=V[/tex]

Besides this, I have no idea as to what to do next.

sebasalekhine7
Feb5-05, 06:14 PM
Angular momentum and orbital angular momentum problems

Ok, I think I've got question # 1. Is orbital angular momentum =angular velocity*radius^2 ?

Register to reply