Register to reply

Doubt in myopia and Hypermetropia

by Puneeth423
Tags: doubt, hypermetropia, myopia
Share this thread:
Puneeth423
Sep24-12, 02:13 AM
P: 51
Will a person suffering from nearsightedness, couldn't see objects far since his eyeball is longer than the usual? (or) Because when he reads more books daily and always focus his vision on objects nearer, lens in his eye ball becomes stub burn and doesn't adjust its focal length when he watches objects far away?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Drakkith
Sep24-12, 02:45 AM
Mentor
P: 11,884
I think just the latter. If your eyeball changes length it should affect the focus of all of your vision, not just the far away focus.
sophiecentaur
Sep24-12, 04:03 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,182
The Physics / optics is that objects at only one distance are focussed on the retina. You adjust the focal length of your lens in order to accommodate over your range and get a particular object in focus. If your eye is 'longer' than normal, even with the lens muscles totally relaxed, distant objects are still not in focus (myopia). If your eye is too short (or you are old and the muscles won't work hard enough), then the muscles cannot change the focal length of the lens to bring near objects into focus.
As far as I know, it is not possible to deal with myopia by 'exercising' the muscles because they are already relaxed when you are trying to see distant objects. Some people claim that exercising the eye muscles can help with hypermetropia though.
My eyeball is aymmetrical and I suffer from astigmatism. The only way to deal with that is with glasses that have a cylindrical element to the lens shapes. So I can just be lazy.

Register to reply