Exploring the Pendulum Problem: Energy Loss and Motion in a Vacuum

• Thread starter Saurophaganax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of pendulums and whether a pendulum in a vacuum will ever completely stop moving. The concept of energy loss and the role of friction in pendulum motion are also brought up. The conversation also explores the application of calculus in understanding the pendulum's velocity and the possibility of a pendulum appearing to stop but still moving due to external forces and the law of conservation of energy. Ultimately, it is concluded that in a vacuum, a pendulum will eventually come to a stop due to the presence of friction and the conservation of energy.
Saurophaganax
I was watching a film in my oceanography class about waves when I started to think about the energy loss and motion of pendulums. I want to know if a pendulum in a vacuum will ever stop moving completely. I know there is friction within the pendulum. I also know that the distance that the bob travels in each swing decreases multiplicatively. In calculus I learned that multiplying something by a number n such that 0<n<1 infinitely many times approaches 0. Does this apply to the pendulum's velocity?

Does a pendulum actually stop moving completely or does it seem to stop but still move?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's first law states that unless an unbalanced force acts upon a body of matter, causing the mass to accelerate, the mass will stay at rest or travel indefinitely in a straight line with a constant velocity. Pendulums oscillate because gravity and the tension in the pendulum string/cable/ whatever are continuously acting upon the mass. Gravity still exists even in a vacuum. Even out in isolated space where gravity is less intrusive, if the pendulum were still magically swinging back and forth because of the presence of a magical force, the conservation of energy implies that some source of energy is being translated into the physical movement of the pendulum and that all of the energy will eventually become unusable heat.

1. What is the Pendulum Problem?

The Pendulum Problem is a physics experiment that involves exploring the motion and energy loss of a pendulum swinging in a vacuum. It is used to study the concepts of conservation of energy and motion in a controlled environment.

2. Why is a vacuum used in the Pendulum Problem?

A vacuum is used in the Pendulum Problem because it eliminates the effects of air resistance, allowing for more accurate measurements of energy loss and motion. In a vacuum, there is no air to slow down the pendulum's movement, making it an ideal environment for studying these concepts.

3. How does energy loss occur in a pendulum?

Energy loss in a pendulum occurs through various factors, such as friction at the pivot point and air resistance. As the pendulum swings back and forth, some of its energy is converted into heat due to friction at the pivot point, and some is lost due to air resistance as it moves through the air.

4. How is motion affected by energy loss in a pendulum?

In a vacuum, where there is no air resistance, the pendulum's motion will remain constant due to the conservation of energy. However, in the real world, where there is air resistance, the pendulum's motion will gradually decrease over time as energy is lost. This is known as damping.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the Pendulum Problem?

Studying the Pendulum Problem has practical applications in various fields, including engineering and physics. It can help engineers design more efficient structures with pendulum-like mechanisms, and it can aid in the development of more accurate timekeeping devices. Additionally, understanding the concepts of energy loss and motion can also have applications in fields such as renewable energy and transportation.