Measuring the permeability of metallic objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of measuring the permeability of irregularly shaped objects for a finite element simulation of low frequency magnetic coupling. Suggestions include using a coil and measuring the inductance, as well as setting up a finite element simulation and adjusting the permeability until matching the measurement. It is also mentioned that permeability can be accurately assumed to be infinite for undesired objects.
daudaudaudau
Hello everyone. I'm working on a project where I have to do a finite element simulation of low frequency magnetic coupling. But my problem is that I don't know the permeability of all the objects involved. Can anyone suggest a good way to measure the permeability of these objects ? The objects are quite irregularly shaped, i.e. not spheres or boxes or cylinders.

I have one idea myself. I could make a coil of sufficient size and then put the object inside this coil, and measure the inductance. Then I could set up an identical finite element simulation and then adjust the permeability of the object until I get the same results as in the measurement.

Physics news on Phys.org
Permeability of materials is normally measured on purposely-made toroidal cores, to get sensible values.

In normal life, if these objects are undesired, they have unit of infinite permeability. Often accurate enough, because air gaps rather than metals determine the flux. Or take 1000, then 10000, and observe no difference.

If the field is intense enough, saturation can be more important than permeability. Uncommon with separated objects.

1. What is permeability and why is it important to measure in metallic objects?

Permeability is a measure of a material's ability to allow fluids or gases to pass through it. In metallic objects, it is important to measure permeability because it can affect the material's strength, corrosion resistance, and other properties.

2. How is the permeability of metallic objects measured?

The permeability of metallic objects is typically measured using a permeability meter, also known as a permeameter. This device measures the amount of magnetic field passing through the material, which is then used to calculate the material's permeability.

3. What factors can affect the permeability of metallic objects?

The composition, structure, and processing of the metallic object can affect its permeability. Other factors such as temperature, magnetic field strength, and the presence of impurities can also impact the material's permeability.

4. What are some common applications of measuring the permeability of metallic objects?

Measuring the permeability of metallic objects is important in industries such as manufacturing, construction, and electronics. It is used to ensure the quality and performance of materials, as well as to design and develop new products.

5. How can the permeability of metallic objects be improved?

The permeability of metallic objects can be improved through various methods such as heat treatment, alloying, and controlling the material's microstructure. Additionally, selecting the right material and processing techniques can also help improve the permeability of metallic objects.