Theoretical Entropy Clock

by dbmorpher
Tags: clock, entropy, theoretical
Share this thread:
dbmorpher
Jan13-13, 08:53 PM
P: 52
Hello dbmorpher here,
I was looking at some articles on entropy and wondered, could this be used to calculate time?
Entropy is known as the arrow of time, figurative I know but could actually be used to measure.
If there was a device that calculated the entropy in a set system couldn't it automatically calculate it and give a numerical value?
This would need a set system for all clocks but would render any other non- atomic clocks obsolete because it is based on measurements and calculations instead of gears and circuitry.

I would like to know if what I said in that last sentence could happen and if I could make one myself.

I found this
http://www.eoht.info/page/Entropy+clock
But I do not understand it very well.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
ZapperZ
Jan13-13, 09:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
This is VERY puzzling. What system do you wish to measure the entropy of that is SO reliable as to be used as a clock? And how would this be more accurate than current atomic/Cs clock?

BTW, the naive link between entropy and the arrow of time is a QUALITATIVE relationship, not a QUANTITATIVE one. Nothing here says that entropy can provide an accurate MEASURE of time.

Zz.
russ_watters
Jan13-13, 09:28 PM
Mentor
P: 22,252
Right. I could use a pot of water on my stove as a clock, but it would be cumbersome and not all that accurate.

dbmorpher
Jan15-13, 03:15 PM
P: 52
Theoretical Entropy Clock

Well from what I have learned entropy is measured not observed, therefore a small calculator sized computer could be fitted to a clock and measure the entropy in the system, the only way for the clock to be inaccurate is if the laws of thermodynamics broke.
Refute me if I am wrong.
ModusPwnd
Jan15-13, 03:28 PM
P: 1,058
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
What system do you wish to measure the entropy of that is SO reliable as to be used as a clock?
Can you not think of all clocks in this way? A wound clock has less microstates available to it than an unwound clock. A clock is that which measures entropy change reliably. Reliably being defined as: it progresses in some constant ratio to other clocks.

Register to reply