Can entropy be used to measure time?

In summary, entropy is a measure of disorder or chaos. It is used as a clock to measure time. If there was a device that calculated the entropy in a set system couldn't it automatically calculate it and give a numerical value? This would need a set system for all clocks but would render any other non- atomic clocks obsolete because it is based on measurements and calculations instead of gears and circuitry.
dbmorpher
Hello dbmorpher here,
I was looking at some articles on entropy and wondered, could this be used to calculate time?
Entropy is known as the arrow of time, figurative I know but could actually be used to measure.
If there was a device that calculated the entropy in a set system couldn't it automatically calculate it and give a numerical value?
This would need a set system for all clocks but would render any other non- atomic clocks obsolete because it is based on measurements and calculations instead of gears and circuitry.

I would like to know if what I said in that last sentence could happen and if I could make one myself.

I found this
http://www.eoht.info/page/Entropy+clock
But I do not understand it very well.

Science news on Phys.org
This is VERY puzzling. What system do you wish to measure the entropy of that is SO reliable as to be used as a clock? And how would this be more accurate than current atomic/Cs clock?

BTW, the naive link between entropy and the arrow of time is a QUALITATIVE relationship, not a QUANTITATIVE one. Nothing here says that entropy can provide an accurate MEASURE of time.

Zz.

Right. I could use a pot of water on my stove as a clock, but it would be cumbersome and not all that accurate.

Well from what I have learned entropy is measured not observed, therefore a small calculator sized computer could be fitted to a clock and measure the entropy in the system, the only way for the clock to be inaccurate is if the laws of thermodynamics broke.
Refute me if I am wrong.

ZapperZ said:
What system do you wish to measure the entropy of that is SO reliable as to be used as a clock?

Can you not think of all clocks in this way? A wound clock has less microstates available to it than an unwound clock. A clock is that which measures entropy change reliably. Reliably being defined as: it progresses in some constant ratio to other clocks.

1. What is a Theoretical Entropy Clock?

A Theoretical Entropy Clock is a hypothetical device that measures the level of disorder or randomness in a system, known as entropy. It is based on the concept of thermodynamic entropy, which is a measure of the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

2. How does a Theoretical Entropy Clock work?

A Theoretical Entropy Clock works by measuring the change in entropy over time in a closed system. It does this by using a series of mathematical equations and calculations to determine the level of disorder in the system at a given point in time.

3. What is the purpose of a Theoretical Entropy Clock?

The purpose of a Theoretical Entropy Clock is to help scientists understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as chemical reactions, biological processes, and even the universe as a whole. It can also be used to study the efficiency of energy conversion processes and the overall direction of time.

4. Is a Theoretical Entropy Clock a real device?

No, a Theoretical Entropy Clock is not a real physical device. It is a theoretical concept that is used in mathematical models and simulations to understand the behavior of physical systems.

5. How is the Theoretical Entropy Clock related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Theoretical Entropy Clock is closely related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The clock helps to quantify and measure this increase in entropy, providing insights into the workings of the universe and the direction of time.