Designing a polymer coating process

by chill_factor
Tags: coating, designing, polymer, process
chill_factor
Jan17-13, 11:36 PM
P: 887
Hi everybody.

My goal is to design a process that, with no automated machinery (I'm using a mechanical pipette), would allow for extremely uniform coverage (that is, with minimal area of multilayers or empty spaces) of a hydrophilic surface with a thin film of polymer solution.

I would also like some pointers on where to get help on writing a mathematical model for this.

I am using a stock polymer suspension in water. The concentration of this suspension can be varied widely. Currently I'm taking a small microliter size portion of this stock suspension and dripping it onto the surface of a substrate cut into exactly 1 cm2 squares. Then I let it dry. This seems too crude. I'm thinking of adding additives such as detergents or other polymers, changing temperature, or changing humidity, but would like a mathematical model to help guide my experiment.

how do I define the conditions such that the sample is dry and only the polymer remains?

how do I calculate the distribution of the polymers on the surface? Is there an analytical model? It is NOT uniform because the polymers are concentrated along the drying front; as water evaporates, the polymers do not, and get concentrated, yet diffusion of the polymers in water is much slower than evaporation (by my observations), and they get 'stuck' on the edges.

I keep looking at the diffusion equation and I have no idea how to use it, but there's no other equation to use.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New ultrasound device may add in detecting risk for heart attack, stroke
Enhanced ground control system and software for small unmanned aircraft
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
chemisttree
Jan29-13, 09:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
Can you spin coat?
Or use a polymerizable surfactant or a CVD process as is used in parylene coatings?
chill_factor
Jan29-13, 10:08 PM
P: 887
Quote Quote by chemisttree View Post
Can you spin coat?
Or use a polymerizable surfactant or a CVD process as is used in parylene coatings?
the spincoating article is helpful. we cannot use CVD; we can't handle reactive gases. all we can do is sputtering. MAYBE we can do substrate bias and sputter the substrate itself, that would actually open up alot of new structural motifs. I think I've already found a related article.

thank you so much for the help.

chemisttree
Jan29-13, 10:29 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725

Designing a polymer coating process

A polymerizable thiol terminated surfactant would coat a gold sputtered surface in a monolayer from solution and should be robust enough to remain intact during rinsing. Fairly straightforward manipulation, IMO.

Register to reply