Fluid mechanics: Flow and velocity of a fluid

by Pepealej
Tags: flow, fluid, mechanics, tank, water
Pepealej
Jan21-13, 04:52 PM
P: 20
I've rencently been thinking about several systems related to fluid mechanics, and I've asked myself the following question:

If I have a cylidrical tank with a small hole in the bottom (the surface area of the hole is small in comparison with that from the tank) and I'm filling the tank with water at a constant flow, how can I determine the speed of the water both coming from the whole and rising up the tank: (A) with respect to the height of the water in the tank, (B) with respect to time.

(This is not homework, although it sounds like so)

I know how to determine the maximum height of a system like this one with a specific flow Q. If the surface area of the cylinder is A and that from the hole is S, we have:

[tex]Av_A=Q=Sv_S[/tex] thus [tex]v_S=\frac{Q}{S}[/tex]
And, using Bernouilli's equation:
[tex]P_{at}+\rho g h=p_{at}+ \frac{1}{2}\rho v_S^2[/tex]
[tex]h=\frac{v_S^2}{2g}[/tex]
But that is considering the end point. Where the system is 'at rest' (there's the same amount of fluid in the tank and we can treat it like a pipe), but I don't know how to study the intermediate steps.

Thanks for your help :)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Ryoko
Jan21-13, 06:48 PM
P: 102
You need to consider the viscosity of the fluid and the diameter and length of the hole, then solve for the back pressure equaling the static fluid pressure at the depth of the hole.
Chestermiller
Jan21-13, 11:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,442
You need to do a transient mass balance on the volume of liquid in the tank. If V is the volume of liquid in the tank, then V = hA. The time rate of change of V is equal to the flow rate in minus the flow rate out. Write a differential equation for this.

Pepealej
Jan22-13, 09:21 AM

Fluid mechanics: Flow and velocity of a fluid

By the way, the calculaitons I did are correct?
Ryoko
Jan22-13, 09:46 AM
P: 102
Not quite right. You need to take a look at the Navier-Stokes equations for incompressible fluids. Or you can just look up the equations for flow thru an orifice.
Chestermiller
Jan22-13, 10:17 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
If the pressure head in the tank is much higher than the frictional pressure drop for flow through the oriface, the latter can be neglected (which is what, at the OPs level of experience, the problem statement intended). The mass balance on the tank is
[tex]A\frac{dh}{dt}=Q-Sv_s[/tex]
with [itex]v_s=\sqrt{2gh}[/itex]

So, [tex]A\frac{dh}{dt}=Q-S\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]

Just solve this differential equation subject to some initial height h0.
Pepealej
Jan28-13, 03:48 AM
Quote Quote by Chestermiller View Post
[tex]A\frac{dh}{dt}=Q-S\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]
Why is the flow through the hole given by:? [tex]Q-S\sqrt{2gh}[/tex] I understand it is the flow that comes in minus the flow that goes out. But when I think of it with the continuity equation, the flow is supposed to be constant.

When does the continuity equation apply?
Chestermiller
Jan28-13, 06:15 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
This actually is the continuity equation (mass balance equation) on the macroscopic scale (input minus output = accumulation). On the microscopic scale, if the fluid is incompressible, the divergence of the velocity vector is still equal to zero everywhere in this situation. You know this because, at any instant of time, the downward velocity of the fluid in the tank is not varying with depth.

Chet

Register to reply