Register to reply

Heat current from the sun

by Pepealej
Tags: current, earth, heat, radiation, sun
Share this thread:
Pepealej
Feb3-13, 04:56 AM
P: 20
I'm recently studying heat transfer processes. I saw that the heat current emited by a radiating body is given by:

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}=H=A e \sigma T^4[/tex]

I was wondering how to calculate the H from the sun to a unit area here on earth. How should I do it? I've seen exercises where they use this formula and for A they use the area of the body in question, but they never do it like:

What H from the sun do we recieve here on earth? I guess it's not the same being on the surface of the earth and being on that of the sun, right?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
mfb
Feb3-13, 07:06 AM
Mentor
P: 11,570
Based on Hsun and the surface area of the sun, you can calculate the total power of the sun. In a distance of 1 AU (=the distance earth-sun), this power is distributed over a sphere with a radius of 1 AU, which allows to calculate the intensity.

Simplified: ##H_{earth}R_{earth}^2=H_{sun}r_{sun}^2## where R is the orbital radius of earth and r is the radius of the sun.
tiny-tim
Feb3-13, 07:07 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,160
Hi Pepealej!

A is the area that is radiating, ie the surface area of the whole sun (4πr2).

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal...adiative_power)

e (or ε) is the emissivity factor, always less than 1, because the sun is not a perfect black body radiator

I don't know where to find the value of ε.

That gives you the total radiated power

at the earth's surface, that covers the whole sphere round the sun at the distance of the earth, so you have to divide by the surface area of that sphere, and multiply by the area of the bit of earth you're interested in (usually 1 square metre).

Register to reply