Einstein Luminosity and Speed of Light

by kornha
Tags: einstein, light, luminosity, speed
kornha
Feb6-13, 05:48 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Find the Einstein luminosity (LE) in terms of just c and G (the speed of light
and the gravitational constant), i.e. determine a power (in watts) from just these two terms
using dimensional analysis. What is this value? Once determined, you should be able to
show that an object converting its mass entirely to energy cannot radiate that energy away
fast enough before becoming a black hole if its luminosity is greater than 0:5LE. Thus LE
represents an upper limit on how bright anything in our universe can be!

2. Relevant equations
There are no particular relevant equations. It helps to know that G is n m^3/(kg s^2) units and that c is m/s. Luminosity also equals Power.

3. The attempt at a solution
I solved the beginning. I found that the units of power are J/s which end up being (kg ms^2)/(s^3) and thus solving for a c and G combination yields that L = c^5/G.
However, I am completely unsure how to procede in the question passed the "Once determined you should be able to show..."
Please, any help would be great!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Gladney
Feb6-13, 09:45 PM
P: 1
Please do your 250 homework by yourself.
YogaInstructor
Feb11-13, 04:44 PM
P: 1
Black holes sound ominous...

I recommend you enroll in Yoga Instructor's restorative yoga class to relax the body...and mind. 15% discount for physics majors!

clamtrox
Feb12-13, 04:18 AM
P: 937

Einstein Luminosity and Speed of Light

Hmm, what odd responses you got... So anyway, consider radiation moving away from the source at the speed of light. How much energy is contained in a sphere of radius ct and how much is needed to collapse it into a black hole?

Register to reply