Jhansi1990@gma
Feb8-13, 03:43 AM
P: 4
What are the number of degrees of freedom of
1)a square sheet moving in XY plane
2)a triangular lamina moving freely in XY plane
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
mfb
Feb8-13, 01:26 PM
Mentor
P: 11,631
This looks like homework: What did you find out so far?
Jhansi1990@gma
Feb10-13, 02:48 PM
A square is composed of many particles with the constraint that distance between every particle is the fixed.so such a square is moving in XY plane.

if i consider two particles they have 4-1 =3degree of freedom(one is subtracted due to constraint that distance between particles are fixed).if i consider third particle it is defined by two co-ordinates and two constraints and therefore no degree of freedom.....the same for fourth fifth and so on.....

so my answer is three

and i dont find any difference in this respect with a triangular lamina......

I do not know the answer to the question.......please comment on this and say if you have any other opinion.

mfb
Feb10-13, 03:38 PM
Mentor
Degrees of freedom

Those 3 degrees of freedom just fix the current position of the square. What about its movement?
Jhansi1990@gma
Feb10-13, 03:45 PM
if i get generalized co-ordinates i can calculate co-ordinate velocities from it
mfb
Feb10-13, 03:46 PM
Mentor
Is that related to the original question?
What do you mean with "get"?
Jhansi1990@gma
Feb10-13, 04:12 PM
The question does not ask that .But i told a general principle.For example a simple pendulum which is oscillating in a plane.since its moving along the arc of a circle(distance from orgin is fixed) it has only one degree of freedom....theta.....which is the angle dat the string makes with vertical.......so if i know theta as a function of time.....i can differentiate "theta" to find generalised co-ordinate velocity

Register to reply