Mawell equations with monopoles

by nos
Tags: equations, mawell, monopoles
Share this thread:
nos
Feb22-13, 06:28 AM
P: 32
Hi all,

Suppose magnetic monopoles exist, how would the maxwell equations be solved?
Because the divergence of B is no longer zero, we can not use the vector potential, can we? Do you just solve for the electric and manetic field for electric charges and magnetic charges seperately and then add them together to get the total fields? How would one approach this?

I guess the answer would be:
E= electric field generated by magnetic charge + electric field generated by electric charge
B= magnetic field generated by electric charge + magnetic field generated by magnetic charge.
This would then be a more general solution. You can still get the old fields by setting the magnetic charge equal to zero.
I would like to do this a an exercise for myself, except Idont know where to begin.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
nos
Feb22-13, 06:34 AM
I am referring tot point charges.
jtbell
Feb22-13, 08:22 AM
Mentor
P: 11,786
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneti....27s_equations

I remember seeing something similar to these "extended Maxwell's equations" in Halliday & Resnick's "Fundamentals of Physics" when I was a college freshman many years ago. Probably the only difference was in the units (SI versus cgs).

nos
Feb22-13, 09:21 AM
Mawell equations with monopoles

Oh thans you, but im interested in solving them tot get the Electric and magnetic field in terms of q(e) and q(m) and position, velocity and acceleration. I guess for each field you het two terms: because now both electric charge and magnetic charge create electric field and magnetic field.

Register to reply