Register to reply

DC Sputtering of Silicon without Magnetron

by LancelotSE
Tags: magnetron, silicon, sputtering
Share this thread:
LancelotSE
Mar7-13, 04:19 PM
P: 1
My question has to do with Sputtering Silicon onto a substrate using DC without a Magnetron. The system in the lab I'm at isn't currently capable of RF sputtering and the status of the magnetron is unknown. Is there any way to use a sputter with DC to deposit Silicon onto a substrate?

On the off chance anyone knows, is there a way to sputter Aluminum Oxide onto a substrate without a magnetron, RF, or exposing the chamber to the atmosphere? We need a deposition that's around 50nm-250nm thick.

Any help would be appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
Graniar
Mar8-13, 07:41 AM
P: 71
Due to silicon conductivity, you may try use silicon samples as electrodes to create plasma between them. Some small residual pressure need for igniting at least by cathode ray.
I don't remember exact numbers, when I experimented, something about 70V was enough for Hg plasma ignition without prior heating for Thungsten electrodes at about 0.1 Pa. Your case will require some more voltage due to increased Silicon work function and ionization energy, but, I suppose DC 318V achievable from AC 220V is quite enough. Don't forget about nonlinear V/I function, use inductance or resistance.
Graniar
Mar8-13, 08:01 AM
P: 71
For dielectric compounds at high vacuum I would try modify regular CRT monitor to increase beam power or decrease scanning rate. Remove the front glass and point it to the sample. But don't you think it will be easier than get regular magnetron?

Register to reply