Register to reply

Passive Adiabatic Effect: Cold sky reflection on IR imagery.

by TheCornishMong
Tags: adiabatic, infrared
Share this thread:
TheCornishMong
Mar7-13, 04:40 PM
P: 1
I am currently in training to become an analyst using thermal imagery. In the studies I have been introduced to cold sky reflection on thermal imagery, however the instructor explained it as a surface 'reflecting the cold from the sky' which, as far as I'm aware, doesnt fit with the second law of thermodynamics. Can someone provide me with an explanation of what causes this effect?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Magnets for fusion energy: A revolutionary manufacturing method developed
Andrew Mason
Mar8-13, 09:28 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,654
Quote Quote by TheCornishMong View Post
I am currently in training to become an analyst using thermal imagery. In the studies I have been introduced to cold sky reflection on thermal imagery, however the instructor explained it as a surface 'reflecting the cold from the sky' which, as far as I'm aware, doesnt fit with the second law of thermodynamics. Can someone provide me with an explanation of what causes this effect?
If I understand the question, you are wondering about the physics involved when an object appears to be colder on the side facing the sky than the side facing the ground.

It has to do with the radiation from a body's surface. If the rate at which a surface receives radiation and the rate at which it loses radiation are not equal, the temperature of the surface will adjust until the rates are equal.

So if the surface facing the ground is receiving warm radiant energy from the earth and the top surface is not, the top temperature of the top surface will be lower (unless, of course, the entire body is a perfect conductor so that the entire body has the same temperature at all times). You will see this on a device that detects thermal radiation from surfaces.

So it is not that the sky is reflecting cold. It is just that it is not reflecting or radiating as much heat as the earth.

AM
Andy Resnick
Mar8-13, 09:48 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,510
Quote Quote by TheCornishMong View Post
I'm more familiar with this effect in millimeter-wave imaging, but the reasoning should be the same. IR and MMW imagers work in wavebands that are largely unabsorbed by the atmosphere, so if your sensor is imaging a piece of metal that reflects the sky, what you actually detect is the cold of deep space.

Register to reply