Computer Engineering or Computer Science Major?

by Computerwiz
Tags: college advice, computer, computer engineering, computer science
Computerwiz
Mar15-13, 11:32 AM
P: 1
Hello,

I am a Freshman in College as of right now, and I am looking to decide on a major. I am extremely interested in computers, this includes: how they work, finding new things to do with them, and learning how to develop new software. However, I am not the best at math, if I really study hard, i can learn to understand it, but it does not come naturally. This frustrates me because obviously computer science and computer engineering both greatly involve math. Should I go for it and just work on my math? If so, should I major in computer science or computer engineering. Also, which of these would be better for me in my situation and which would give me a better future?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Fiber-optic microscope will help physicians detect cancer, diseases at early stages
Wind tunnel tests support improved aerodynamic design of B61-12 bomb
Smart sensor technology to combat indoor air pollution
countzander
Mar29-13, 02:04 PM
P: 15
Computer engineering.
timthereaper
Apr1-13, 09:30 AM
P: 341
The difference really comes down to hardware vs. software. Computer engineers deal with the hardware side and computer scientists deal with the software side. Naturally, there is a bit of overlap because you can't really do one without understanding the other to a certain degree.

Having said that, my personal bias is toward computer engineering. You can learn a lot of the computer science concepts by reading the huge amount of published material out there and still have a good foundation as far as hardware goes. Sure, it might take you a good while to get to the same knowledge level as a CS graduate, but you'd have the added benefit of being a computer engineer. With regard to jobs, you'll be able to find work doing either of them.

Also, if your limiting factor is math, I'd say just bite the bullet. Unless you're planning on doing physical simulations, the chances of using advanced math every day are remote. There's no reason to limit your career options based on that.

NewtonsHead
Jun12-13, 09:42 PM
P: 26

Computer Engineering or Computer Science Major?

You just have to find the beauty in math to make studying easier. Besides calculus (1-3), you should only need 2 or 3 more maths after that (linear algebra and diff. equations) depending on the school

Register to reply