Trailer hitch and draw bar (vehicle)

by svishal03
Tags: draw, hitch, trailer, vehicle
Share this thread:
svishal03
Mar30-13, 01:22 PM
P: 132
Hi,

I'm not a mechanical or an automobile engineer and have a poor knowledge of vehicles as I don't drive.

I'm solving a particualr problem in mechanics dealing with stress analysis which deals with a trailer hitch (See attached figure)

Can anyoen tell me ina very fundamental manner

1) What is a trailer hitch ? (I understand through wikepedia that a trailer hitch is an unpowered vehicle pulled by a powered vehicle)

2) Considering the attached figure, my questions are

a) Which oen is a trailer hitch and which is a draw bar in the figure?
b)What is the function of the bolt in the figure?
c)Can anyoen explain the operation of the trailer hitch,draw bar and state of stress in thebolt ?

I shall eb grateful

Vishal
Attached Thumbnails
trailer_hitch.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
ESA investigates an alternative, environmental-friendly method of corrosion resistance
The oscillator that could makeover the mechanical watch
Engineers study bats to improve aviation travel
svishal03
Mar30-13, 05:47 PM
Can anyone pleaseeeee help?
SteamKing
Mar30-13, 06:00 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,756
A trailer hitch is a device which allows a car or truck to pull a trailer. The trailer is an unpowered wheeled vehicle.

The draw bar in the attached figure is the straight rectangular piece. The draw bar is attached to the pulling vehicle.

The ball piece on the left end permits the trailer to articulate when the pulling vehicle makes a turn. The trailer has a corresponding piece called a coupler which projects from the front of the trailer and slips over the ball of the hitch.

svishal03
Mar31-13, 04:13 AM
Trailer hitch and draw bar (vehicle)

Thank you very much.
Does the attached picture show the trailer? You said the draw bar is the straight rectangular piece.What is the curved piece in the figure - is the curved piece the trailer?

What are the loads / state of stress on the bolt there?
AlephZero
Mar31-13, 01:16 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,295
It might help to see a trailer hitch attached to a car...

... and towing a trailer

Register to reply