Register to reply

What is the optimal gas for forced air cooling?

by Mike_In_Plano
Tags: cooling, forced, optimal
Share this thread:
Mike_In_Plano
Mar31-13, 09:15 PM
P: 560
A friend and I got into a debate regarding the characteristics desired in a gas for forced air cooling.

Having worked with mass flow meters, I was well away of how hydrogen and helium had high thermal conductivity. However, as my friend pointed out, simply having high conductivity (i.e. a light molecule) wouldn't necessarily mean a gas was the best choice for forced air cooling. In that case, the specific heat would become important and perhaps a gas like SF6 would be more ideal.

Does anyone have any thoughts to offer?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers find security flaws in backscatter X-ray scanners
Virtual reality guides those whose memory is failing
Intelligent navigation system to personalise shopping trips
SteamKing
Mar31-13, 11:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,471
For safety, I would stay away from flammable gasses like hydrogen and oxygen. Ditto for poisonous or corrosive gasses like fluorine or chlorine (in fact, any halogen).

I guess the ideal gas for forced air cooling would be ... air. It's cheap, abundant, non-poisonous, and non-corrosive.
Mike_In_Plano
Apr1-13, 11:31 AM
P: 560
We are dealing with a closed, refrigerated system that operates at low temperatures (i.e. no moisture allowed). It is desirable to utilize existing fans and heat spreaders within this system, but the nature of the preferred atmosphere is in question.

Please avoid anecdotal references and stick purely with the science.

Thanks,

- Mike

Register to reply