Register to reply

Incidents in the history of SR

by tade
Tags: history, incidents
Share this thread:
tade
Apr7-13, 02:57 AM
P: 145
I'm curious about two things. Why did Einstein's 1905 paper contain no citations? Nowadays most papers have one or two pages full of citations, I don't know about back then but he must have had a few.

Secondly, Einstein willed some of his Nobel money to his wife Maric. But that was a year or two before he received the prize. Somewhat strange.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
A word in your ear, but make it snappy
Functional analysis reveals Miocene fossil pig's foraging behavior
Astronuc
Apr7-13, 02:03 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
In his paper, "Über einen die Erzeugung und Verwandlung des Lichtes betreffenden heuristischen Gesichtspunkt", der Physik 17 (6): 132–148, Einstein cited Planck, Lenard and Stark.

In his third ("Zur Elektrodynamik bewegter Körper", Annalen der Physik 17 (10): 891–921.) and fourth ( "Ist die Trägheit eines Körpers von seinem Energieinhalt abhängig?", Annalen der Physik 18 (13): 639–641.) papers of 1905, Einstein refers to the Maxwell-Hertz equations, and in the third refers to Lorentz's theory of electrodynamics. Perhaps since the equations were so well known to the readers, it is not necessary to provide a citation. Otherwise, the work is radically new, original and unprecedented, and there is no additional references.

Also in the third paper, Einstein acknowledges help and contribution from a colleague, M. Besso, although the specifics are not mentioned.
tade
Apr7-13, 09:18 PM
I guess Lorentz's theories must've been pretty well-known for Einstein to mention but not cite it.

Or maybe he just forgot.

ImaLooser
Apr9-13, 01:05 AM
P: 570
Incidents in the history of SR

Quote Quote by tade View Post
I'm curious about two things. Why did Einstein's 1905 paper contain no citations? Nowadays most papers have one or two pages full of citations, I don't know about back then but he must have had a few.

Secondly, Einstein willed some of his Nobel money to his wife Maric. But that was a year or two before he received the prize. Somewhat strange.
No citations. You'd have to ask him why. Everything he discussed was pretty well known, so I guess he felt they were unnecessary.

Einstein had two children and divorced. Part of the settlement was that his wife would get the Nobel money. It was no surprise when he was awarded it.
tade
Apr9-13, 01:32 AM
Quote Quote by ImaLooser View Post
No citations. You'd have to ask him why. Everything he discussed was pretty well known, so I guess he felt they were unnecessary.
Yeah, I mentioned that in the previous post.

Quote Quote by ImaLooser View Post
Einstein had two children and divorced. Part of the settlement was that his wife would get the Nobel money. It was no surprise when he was awarded it.
No surprise when he was awarded.

But he managed to predict when quite accurately. 'twas probably a close-knit phys community at that time.

Register to reply